Tires

Marcis71

I’ve never raced asphalt before and am going to run on a 1/4 mile car track. I’ll be using blue Vegas, stock Predator, 385 pounds. Do you prep tires on pavement? A certain duro I should look for? Pressures? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
I also have a set of yellow Vegas if they’d be better?

Most run yellows on asphalt, it's the go to tire if there is a choice. Mild to medium internal depending on the bite in the track and very little external. Mainly just a wipe to fire at the track and that's it. Minimal to nothing during the week. Depending on the track, someone might have a regime that knows the track better. But, some asphalt tracks have little to no bite, so it could vary a lot depending on where you're planning to run.

I'd say make sure your kart setup is on point before worrying too much about tires. Even wrapper yellows can be competitive at that weight if the kart setup is right. Might take them a few laps to really get going. Again, all depends on the track. But, kart setup is key. It's nothing like Dirt.

I’ve never raced asphalt before and am going to run on a 1/4 mile car track. I’ll be using blue Vegas, stock Predator, 385 pounds. Do you prep tires on pavement? A certain duro I should look for? Pressures? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
I also have a set of yellow Vegas if they’d be better?
Yellows will be better (unless the track is very abrasive and builds a lot of tire temp.) Depending on track temperature, I'd be on Yellows this late in the year in Michigan.
Yes on internal -- something that will keep the tire wicking oils to the surface through heat cycles. Our Medium Rare is very effective on pavement tires. 2 ounces in the right sides and 1 ounce in the lefts.

For psi, 10# lefts, 12# rights to start off with. Higher for bigger tracks, lower for smaller tracks. For big car tracks, run as much air as you can without losing grip in the corners.

Give us a call if we can be of any help at all.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com