tires

There are many reasons to cut a new tire. Amongst these reasons would be: to change the contact patch profile, to get a more consistent (true/round) tire, to change the spring rate, to reduce the rolling mass, to control tire temps through different tread depths over the length of a particular run, to hold different amounts of prep in particular tread depths, and many more.

Faster, higher speed, higher biting track surfaces see the advantage of cut tires more than small low bite tracks. Small bullring no/low bite tracks generally like thicker rubber with lots of prep.

A "proper" cut tire is almost always faster than an uncut tire - there are exceptions I'm sure, but generally, a tire that's been cut "right" for the application is faster.

You'll get a lot of different answers to your question, but this should be enough to get you thinking. ;)
You'll also learn a lot about tires in the tire section of this forum.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com

Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry

765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Yea, I say that every time I cut half the rubber off of a brand new Burris 33. Doesn't make sense...until you see the speed on the track.

Probably 10 years ago or more, we did a tire test at a local kart track. Sticker Burris tires were a full second slower per lap than a good set of Burris cuts. That's all the proof I needed. Within the rules, there's only so much you can do to an engine, and with everyone making similar power with their engine program, there's simply no way to legally pick up a full second. Bolt on a set of tires that are that much faster for $100 and everyone will be doing that. Even if it were possible to pick up a full second in the engine, I can't imagine the price tag on that speed. :)

Great answer to a question I've wondered about. Not to steal the thread, but I have tires purchased new then run approximately 20 nights. Prep was mild and soaked with wd40 as part of weekly maintenance. If I cut them, what happens to life expectancy? Will they last a season of 12-18 nights?

Thanks

Dan

33s locally will last several seasons if you maintain/condition them.
Every time that you refinish them, you'll wear more of the tire off than by simply racing them. Keeping a fresh surface on Burris though is critical.
We've still got '05 date code 33As in our personally inventory -- for when the track calls for very hard 33s. They would never be my choice with an open tire rule, but for a big show with lots of karts and lots of bite (syrup too), those are still my "go to" tires. Likewise, a set of harder flat thin cut (thin and crispy) 11 or 12 date code tires will work in high bite outdoor money race situations.
I cut mostly real high crown 33s for guys in the midwest because they race on primarily low/no bite tracks. For some customers that only have a set or two of tires to choose from, we cut what I call an "intermediate" set - which is somewhere between the full round "crown" cut and a "flat" cut tire. It's a good all-around profile that a guy can take about anywhere with a 33 rule and be competitive.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back