Tires

The more sets you can take, the better chance you have of having the right 4 tires for the track that day. They would need to be prepped differently for each set, according to how the track normally is each week. If its open tire rule, that is a whole nother can of worms and little more complicated

I take 3 sets,, and if I cant get close with them well I guess all I can say is,,, we having fun,, a lot of guys carry numerous sets ,, but in reality how many can they try before racing begins? maybe 2 ,, practice and hotlaps ,, maybe quailfiying ,, it takes seat time ,, prep 20 sets if u want ,, but when push comes to shove ,, you cant run but a few sets before the feature,, better have some lady luck on your side,,,JMO

Even when you do get a chance to try several sets, how do you know if and what will work later when the track changes? you just need to know your track, tires and preps.

I take 3 sets,, and if I cant get close with them well I guess all I can say is,,, we having fun,, a lot of guys carry numerous sets ,, but in reality how many can they try before racing begins? maybe 2 ,, practice and hotlaps ,, maybe quailfiying ,, it takes seat time ,, prep 20 sets if u want ,, but when push comes to shove ,, you cant run but a few sets before the feature,, better have some lady luck on your side,,,JMO

Its not about trying as many sets as you can before the races start. Knowing about where to start is a big part of the tire game, being able to look at and feel the track and guess within a few points of the correct duro is a big part of it. Once you know about what duro you need then you just have to narrow it down. I can usually look at the track and pick out a set that gets me fairly close, then after going out in practice I can look at my lap times and tell if I'm close on tires. If your fastest lap is the first couple laps then your too soft on tires. If your fastest lap is the last couple laps then your a little too hard on tires. I want to see my fastest laps about midway thru the run but everyone is different. More sets also helps because you can have sets prepped differently, which is important for dirt because you can hit the tires perfect in practice but the track is going to pick up most of the time and you will likely need different tires to stay fast. Having different sets with different amounts of internal prep is a big advantage, knowing when to use each set is an even bigger advantage. On asphalt you may not need as many sets of tires as you would for dirt like we do. I'm not sure cuz I haven't raced asphalt yet but really would like to try it sometime, it looks fun for sure. The level of your competition also determines how many sets you need, like if you just race a backyard track you might get away with just a couple sets, but if you go to a bigger race where there may be 50+ entries in a class, you'll obviously need more sets if you want to be competitive. A guy can have 50 sets but if he doesn't know when to bolt on each set, he might as well have 3 sets. It takes time to learn your tire program and build it up, but its an important part of kart racing if you want to compete, there is no getting around it.

Like Jack said....learn the track you race, learn the tires you use, and learn the tire program you will be on. That is the best thing you can do is take the time to learn it if you want to be fast.

Back