Titanium parts

boomer216

Are they worth the cost? Opinions? I have seen some wheel studs, lug nuts, gear hub bolts, and few other items I didn't know if they were worth the hype. I'm kinda if it ain't broke don't fix it type. Any advantages or they just more for show?

Titanium stuff is cool to have.. in my opinion is it worth the money and weight savings.. NO.. if memory serves me right I remember someone saying they spent around $500 to save +/- 5lbs..

In 15 years I've personally never "broken" a wheel stud or had anything happen to a standard nut or bolt on a kart that having it in titanium would have changed the outcome..

JMO tho..

Titanium valves are lighter and allow lower Valve spring pressures. It will help you lose a little , parasitic drag. And could yeild a little higher rpm. But at over $100 each? It will get you tossed in tech every time! except in stock appearing or open, some modified classes.

It's rotating mass - anything you can lighten will help - but as mentioned - at what expense.
It's much cheaper to drill holes than buy titanium (and 99% of Ti hardware is coming from China currently.)

I'd be surprised if there's 5 pounds of hardware on an entire kart -- and your primary focus should be on parts that rotate (hubs, etc.)

In theory -- Ti will help. In reality, spend that money on...
yes, you guessed it, more tires.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

.... not to mention: I'm as skeptical about the "quality" of titanium hardware from China as I am about a good number of other items coming from China.

caveat emptor :rolleyes:

PM

Ti in the valve train is beneficial, though the only thing available are valves that I know of. Lifters, pushrods and lash adjusters would be nice. Ti wrist pins and rod bolts might be easier to make/source.

It's rotating mass - anything you can lighten will help - but as mentioned - at what expense.
It's much cheaper to drill holes than buy titanium (and 99% of Ti hardware is coming from China currently.)

I'd be surprised if there's 5 pounds of hardware on an entire kart -- and your primary focus should be on parts that rotate (hubs, etc.)

In theory -- Ti will help. In reality, spend that money on...
yes, you guessed it, more tires.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Less hardware seems to be an more cost effective upgrade vs doing it on a sprint car/late model/midget lol

.... not to mention: I'm as skeptical about the "quality" of titanium hardware from China as I am about a good number of other items coming from China.

caveat emptor :rolleyes:

PM
Totally correct Pete. Buyer beware ! You are responsible to buy the quality you desire. I do my part to run American, PRC, flathheads , Animals with made in USA cranks, pistons cams valve lifters and and to top it off a tillotson that reads, Made in USA. Unfortunetly some of the raw materials do come from China. We need to get away from China and go back to the old Made In USA for everything.

Less hardware seems to be an more cost effective upgrade vs doing it on a sprint car/late model/midget lol
That's true. Less bolts = less expense.
There's nearly as many bolt in one 15" beadlock than there is in all 4 wheels on a kart (rotating at what a 2 1/2" diameter?) :)
And nearly as many bolts in that same sprint car wheel as on an entire kart!

.... that reads, Made in USA. Unfortunately some of the raw materials do come from China. We need to get away from China and go back to the old Made In USA for everything.

Yes, without question there are "creative" methods being used to slip products through that should (IMO) not be marked: Made in USA

Material coming from China, or a complete "device" or "thing" that has most if not all its components made in China, and then is assembled in the U.S. and sold as "made in USA". I personally think there are some loopholes to the "Made in USA" badge.

Without question, there are very, very good products completely made in China -- look at any flashlight made by Fenix or Nitecore. Or an iPhone. Or many other products that are completely made in China that are top quality. It can be done.

Well... sorry about the tangent off the original question, but yes: I would always be a bit cautious of using fasteners or precision components made in China (or other countries in S/E Asia that China is now outsourcing to). Unfortunately, without a convenient method of doing material analysis (e.g. XRF gun or LIBS gun), just testing something to failure is often the easiest and best way to "get a read" on a fastener.

PM

All my karts are done in Titanium for steering and brake hardware, stainless for other "critical" hardware, and aluminum for non load bearing hardware.

I shaved almost 8 lbs via Titanium and Aluminum hardware, but you have to be dedicated and dilligent. EVERY nut and bolt and washer on my chassis were replaced with stainless, aluminum, or TI.

I bought from ti64.com

Back