Titaniumn rods

I believe Mechart did make some. I don't even know if Gary is still with us, I haven't talked to him in probably 20 years. I had a set of super lightweight set of billet steel rods for our big car waaaaaaaaaay long ago. Beautiful piece of work. I think he was from Gastonia if I remember correctly.

Thanks,
Brian Carlson

Does anybody know what number of aluminum they use for making rods? 6061, 7075, 2024 or what?

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

Most are made of 7075 T-6. 6061 it too soft
I've read in an engineering handbook that's 7075 loses quite a bit of its strength as it gets hot. There are aluminum alloys, that are very close to the same strength, but don't do that nearly as much. Some, at elevated temperatures, are quite a bit stronger than 7075. If I was making aluminum rods I'd be looking into it.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

Look into 2024-T351. I believe that is the material the WF rods are made from. Not sure, but I heard that somewhere. Those rods are very long lasting and durable in Stock and Limited Mod Animal motors. FWIW.

You do know that Titanium has a "life cycle", you just don't install it and use it forever. Titanium is very strong for it's cross-sectional area and weight vs. physical size, BUT it is brittle. Something to consider. 6AL4V is the commonly available ( if there is such a thing as "available" ) form of titanium used in the manufacture parts.

Aluminum is more practical, more cost effective, and much easier to find in raw material form to make the parts. JMO

Dave E.

Back