To much oil? Or carburetor issue?

You should try replacing the coil. I was having the same problems with my raptor on my mini bike and fixed the problem by changing the coil.
I never considered it to be an ignition problem. It has a new coil on it, but I could try swapping coils from my other engine. If it’s bad for some reason. I also have a on/off switch on the engine that could be causing spark issues if it’s faulty.

I never considered it to be an ignition problem. It has a new coil on it, but I could try swapping coils from my other engine. If it’s bad for some reason. I also have a on/off switch on the engine that could be causing spark issues if it’s faulty.
Yea first try disconnecting your kill switch and see if that fixes the problem. If it doesn’t then try swapping out the coil.

Definitely take the kill switch out of the equation before buying a new coil.
Make sure the plug gap is ample as well ---- .023" minimum on a stock style plug.

We have coils in stock if you need - just give us a call at the shop.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I noticed this is an old thread, but if you still have that problem of missing and black smoke? If you are running an EC carb. Call Mark at EC he will help you. 614 446 6807
Usually when a coil goes bad, it just won't run. kill switch will cause it not run at all or just cut it off intermittently. If you are going to use kill switch , get the one for the animal. And put two layers of shrink tubing on the wire from the coil to the kill switch or a piece of tubing.

But I believe just from the black smoke that you have wrong jet in carb. Read post #12, Al is right. And I do miss him on here, sometimes.

Last edited:
Take a good look at the piston rings. Are they the R3 style ? (1) It might be as simple as the top ring was accidentally installed upside down. This will cause it to pump oil into the combustion chamber. Make sure the rings turn freely on the piston.
(2) Could be an ally carb on gasoline.

Best of luck, WP

Back