Toe question

We got a Rival, we run a very short track. Straight away lengths are 190 feet long. How much toe out is suggested. Is there a base line set up, we can look at. We are going to scale our karts this weekend. Thanks

Never having run LTO, I may be speaking out of turn, but I just can't understand the reason for that much toe out. When I raced, back in the dark ages, when front ends were much looser than they are now, I ran 1/32 toe-in on each wheel. Just to allow for all the taking up of the slack in the steering and spindles.
Try something; set the front end up as recommended by others, then do this, turn the steering wheel one or two or three or four degrees to the left. Measure the toe there, see if it stays the same. I don't think it will be the same, especially if you have Ackerman steering. Ackerman always turns the inside wheel more than the outside wheel.
Something else; I think, as you go down the straight, you will adjust your steering to compensate for that 1/8 toe out on the left inside wheel. This means both wheels will have 1/16 toe out. I can only guess at how much that's going to hinder your straightaway speed. After you do this, try running with the front wheels straight up, your tack should tell you if you've picked up any speed. I could be wrong, but I think you should try it.

Never having run LTO, I may be speaking out of turn, but I just can't understand the reason for that much toe out. When I raced, back in the dark ages, when front ends were much looser than they are now, I ran 1/32 toe-in on each wheel. Just to allow for all the taking up of the slack in the steering and spindles.
Try something; set the front end up as recommended by others, then do this, turn the steering wheel one or two or three or four degrees to the left. Measure the toe there, see if it stays the same. I don't think it will be the same, especially if you have Ackerman steering. Ackerman always turns the inside wheel more than the outside wheel.
Something else; I think, as you go down the straight, you will adjust your steering to compensate for that 1/8 toe out on the left inside wheel. This means both wheels will have 1/16 toe out. I can only guess at how much that's going to hinder your straightaway speed. After you do this, try running with the front wheels straight up, your tack should tell you if you've picked up any speed. I could be wrong, but I think you should try it.
Al, we have told you numerous times, you are very rarely ever driving in a straight line. Go look at some kart tracks and pics, and you will see this.
Corner speed makes straightaway speed!!!!

Honestly there is nothing wrong with trying new ideas or techniques .
Starting with something tried and tested is a sure bet .
I think I would modify that just a little; "tried and tested is a good place to start."
Doing it like everybody else does will make you equal to them, I'm always looking for an advantage!

Several theories, and factful reasons .
Wheelbase concerns on the left side . It could end up under the minumum .
Slip angles and induced drag .

I’m new to Karting and am still figuring stuff out. Can someone tell my why it matters which tire you toe out?
Toe shows up most at turn it, which tire is most likely more trial and error to find out which tire seems best for you, as some is just feel and driving style, and which tire seems to match some set ups better, also seems like the RF is used more on newer chassis.

In my head it just looks like the kart won’t know or care which tire has toe. Way I’m seeing it is the RF is dominate so if doesn’t matter which tire has toe it automatically going to be at the the same angle when turning and dragging the LF. If any of that makes sense im trying to describe how I’m seeing it in my head

Last edited:
Thats true . In that same train of thought would you rather drag the right front ?
Its a toss up on opinions left , right or don't matter .

Thats true . In that same train of thought would you rather drag the right front ?
Its a toss up on opinions left , right or don't matter .
The way I’m seeing it you could never drag the RF it has a lot more weight and traction so the RF will always overpower the LF

If your steering is locked and your rf is straight ahead then you toe it 1/16 or 1/8” it would change your camber setting some from what it would be straight up. Same for the LF. ?

Mostly what I see.

RF because of scrub radius changes weight very little from zero to toe out.
LF for the same reason jacks some weight from zero to toe out.

Biggest thing to remember is to be consistant to get consistant scale numbers.

jmho

Sorry to highjack the thread. I just have so many questions running through my head all the time and I only know one person who has much knowledge on karts.

No matter which method you choose you still turn the steering wheel in such a manner to make the kart go where you want. I would bet that most of us would advise that you choose a method and stick with it.

Back