Toe Setting

DJ_DeeZal

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to the karting world and I have a question regarding setting toe. I've been told to string the left side before checking/setting toe, and I've been told to string the right side before checking/setting. Which is preferred/correct, or is it a matter of personal preference? Thanks!

Jon

I'd say I'm safe to say 80% or more string the Right side and toe the left, From the Engineering standpoint most will tell you toeing the right side gives the same effect.

I was wondering if there was a quicker way to set toe. I always have to take the laser and mirror off after setting one side to set the other. After setting the second side I check the first side and it has shifted. I just keep having to do that until finally it is right. Can take quite a long time. Any tips to speed it up?

I do use the steering lock, but it still moves. For instance I'll set one side to 0 and the other to 1/16. I'll go back and double check the 0 side and it is now moved between 0 and 1/32.

See if you can tighten up the steering lock a little. Move them closer together and make sure pin is in all the way. If there is slop in the steering lock , maybe just replace it.
Make sure the hubs are tight and not moving.
Make sure all the bearing in the tie rods are good to go and do not have slop in them.
Make sure the king pin bearing are not moving around, they wear fast some times.
Put a bungee cord from one side of the steering wheel to the frame to take out any slop in your steering lock.
Or use a clamp.

or (assuming that you set toe with driver in kart) just hold the wheel against one side of the steering lock very lightly.
Or just set toe close and go.
Toe is important, but most of the time 1/32 won't make a lot of difference in lap time.

When you set up laser make sure to clean the inside of axle, put a little lubricant on shaft to insure it is inserted the same every time.

I'd say I'm safe to say 80% or more string the Right side and toe the left, From the Engineering standpoint most will tell you toeing the right side gives the same effect.

WOW could this old mans memory be doing ok today remembering this one? ... that is if it's correct ... :)

Yes 80% string the right side and yes 99% will say it doesn't make a difference. But if I'm remembering correctly it does.

Here goes hope it's right. There are rules for chassis length measuring wheels front to rear. A shorter cheater inside wheel spacing front to rear all other things being equal could give you an advantage. If you string the left side and put toe in via the RF you can meet the rules for left wheel base, yet when on the track your left side wheel base will be shorter then if you set toe stringing the right side.

Theory being your kart with the shorter left side wheel base is capable of rotating better. Are you good enough with everything else that it will make a difference? Probably in 99% of the cases no. ... :)

hope that was correct and my memory severed me ok??????

…. what you need to do after each time you move the tie rod is lift the front of the kart off the scales and check again … I promise you that it changes

Great day in the morning.

Since no one had to fix the errors or throw out my whole post #8 I'm going to figure the logic/reasoning/remembering is correct ! ... :)

Thinking about the jist of it more I see the possibility that if you do string on the left, because how it will change the operated position of the LF tire, you may have to adjust LF caster or camber accordingly. I'll have to think about it some more but it also a possibility the automatic change in LF tire angle adjustments when you do string on the left instead of the right, may help handling too. ... or they may move adjustments away from where you need them. Without having to get into deep thunkin on front end angles and dangles, I think it boils down to try it and see if it helps or hurts how your kart handles on the track. Then after you know the results start looking into the why of it and you may find an eye opener or two. ... :)

Question on tire pressure. I read add 2 to 3 lbs to typical tire pressures for heavy guys, I am about 245. I am a newbie running in a stock Predator class with treaded tires, currently have Burris, can run any mfg. Last race ran 10 psi, slightly more LR. Older straight rail CRG to see if I liked karts (I love it). Been really small tracks, a 1/5 mile (maybe slightly bigger) this weekend for the first time. Dry but not real slick for the mains. Thrilled to see this thread.

Question on tire pressure. I read add 2 to 3 lbs to typical tire pressures for heavy guys, I am about 245. I am a newbie running in a stock Predator class with treaded tires, currently have Burris, can run any mfg. Last race ran 10 psi, slightly more LR. Older straight rail CRG to see if I liked karts (I love it). Been really small tracks, a 1/5 mile (maybe slightly bigger) this weekend for the first time. Dry but not real slick for the mains. Thrilled to see this thread.

Being you posted just before this question in the GO TO thread for new or newer racers ,I think you meant to ask this question there, not that it matters much guy's would of answered either way. I think your typical to add 2 to 3 lbs from normal is more the fact that it's a predator class not the fact that your bigger guy, 1/5 th mile your going to is considered good size for karts on dirt. Make NO mistake proper air is more about the track and class your running and which tire VS your weight, I was getting ready to post some tips for the predator guy's this morning when I saw this, So go to that thread and I'll give more Info.

Good Luck !!

It doesn't matter which side you do first or how you do it as long as you do it the exact same way each time. Steering locks always have a bit of play so you have to put gentle turning pressure on the steering wheel (same direction always). I like to roll it rather than lift the front end after each adjustment, but either way is fine. It's funny, I worry about 1/32 toe setting, but have come in after a race with toe bent out 1/4 and the thing was still fast!

A piece of cardboard or wax paper between the tires and the scales helps a lot. Make sure the guy sitting in the kart remains still and in the same position. Slight movement can change things. I like to roll the kart also. Saves the back.

I usually set mine at zero, and had no issues. I know lots of the Pro drivers, who are riding PRC are setting theirs on the RF, and then theres those who either do the LF or zero. Its more of the feel you are needing from the kart, type of track, IMO.

So i don't have a laser setting tool or any expensive equipment. We raced big cars and would either roll the tire and scribe it or use toe plates pressed against the outside of the tires. Would the latter of the two be ok for karts? I had a guy help me with initial setup and think he set it to 1/8 or something like that. Looks way toed out now after two races, measures about 5/8 with the plates on the outside of wheels. Kids have hit multiple things.

Back