Toe

Anywhere on here... Where I can learn... When to change the clutch gear... And Axel gear...
Proper Front driver size all depends on size of track, shape, how much grip it has, what class (motor) your running, Rear gear is to keep you in your target R.P.M. range.
What class motor and weight are you running on the 1/8TH mile ? Which Tires ?

1/8th mile FLAT oval... Dirt... Clone (med) Maxis HT3...kart handled well... First heat race...finished last... 14 clutch... 63 rear... Feature race...changed rear to 64... Finished last...

1/8th mile FLAT oval... Dirt... Clone (med) Maxis HT3...kart handled well... First heat race...finished last... 14 clutch... 63 rear... Feature race...changed rear to 64... Finished last...
Provided it is an 1/8th mile and momentum, lower to mid grip track night racing, you should be in the ball park on gearing, what R.P.M. were you turning ?

One tooth on the driver is equal to, depending on the overall gear ratio, 3 to 6 teeth on the axle. In the 3.5/4.5 – 1 ratio range plus/minus some, one tooth on the engine is equal to 4 teeth on the axle. A quick look at any gear ratio chart will confirm this.

That idea of having one tire towed out and the other straight got me to thinking. Sorry! If you did that, and very carefully measured the position of the steering wheel, then push the kart across the concrete floor, wouldn't the 2 front wheels want to even up that difference? Moving the steering wheel to the right?

Here is my theory-
I think the rolling resistance is less with the RF straight and the LF having all of the toe out. In my kart I need to hold the wheel slightly right to go straight. As soon as you steer to the left it starts the weight moving and increases load on the LF giving it power to help determine the direction of the kart. And it starts the turn.
With the RF being inline with RR with the steering wheel pin installed or centered the LF has less "authority" over the RF on what direction the kart travels due to it having less load.
Right??????

Seems correct to me. after all when you toe out the right front and drive down the straight , the left front is toed out anyway .

Back