Tomar 2 disc stall speed and spring height used on clone engine for adult class

I'm familiar w/ the Tomar 2-disc on Yamaha's but not Clones. I suggest puchasing the Dial Indicator Height Gauge and 'find' what works-4u. 'Tomar' shd be able too offer a starting-point! (ie: .375 = 3500) ?? Also....(1) turn = 600rpm on Yamaha as a ref)

I wouldn’t trust a book to tell me where to set the clutch. If it was me, I would test and find out at what RPM I’m getting the most torque to the rear axle. When you have the most torque at the rear axle, you have the most horsepower at the rear axle.
A bathroom scale, between a strong wall and the front of your kart will tell you right away where the best clutch setting is. The higher the scale reading, the better the clutch setting.
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory.

I wouldn’t trust a book to tell me where to set the clutch. If it was me, I would test and find out at what RPM I’m getting the most torque to the rear axle. When you have the most torque at the rear axle, you have the most horsepower at the rear axle.
A bathroom scale, between a strong wall and the front of your kart will tell you right away where the best clutch setting is. The higher the scale reading, the better the clutch setting.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory.
Would that be a 'digital' scale, or...'analog' Al? :) PS...I wasn't suggesting going by anybody's 'book'.

Al when you say you have the most torque, you have the most horsepower is not an accurate statement is it? Maximum torque occurs well before maximum horsepower.

Al when you say you have the most torque, you have the most horsepower is not an accurate statement is it? Maximum torque occurs well before maximum horsepower.
but I was talking about the axle, not the engine. And you're completely right about peak horsepower being at a higher RPM than peak torque, but that's at the engine. I And I was talking about the torque to the rear axle while the clutch is slipping. I know very well what the torque and horsepower curves look like from a Yamaha. And what I was saying was, which may not have been very clear, if the clutch is holding the engine at peak torque, that torque is transferred to the rear axle. With peak torque at the rear axle, you have peak horsepower at the rear axle.
When the engine RPM, divided by the gear ratio, is the same as the axle, the horsepower at the engine is exactly the same as the horsepower at the axle.

Back