tomar clutch chatter

dirttrax

Got a stellar 4 2disc that's sounds horrible as it locks up. It locks up good and pulls good. Just as it start to engage it chatter horribly and is pretty embarrassing in the grid, lol.

I had it rebuilt twice by two very good clutch guys but it still makes noise. Any suggestions or are tomars just noisy?

Should not chatter at all had a clutch years ago do that sent it back.to the manufacturer he fixed it for free he said that a bad batch of disc material caused the problem

It's hard to understand how a chattering clutch can be as efficient as a smooth clutch! Knowing that it takes energy to make noise, I have to think that means less energy going to the rear axle.

They are noisy, no doubt. Whether it is affecting your performance or not is another question. If it's performing fine, run it.
We ran the Horstman X5 clutches for years and experienced the same thing. Aside from soaking them in WD40 (actually recommended by the manufacturer) I never found a way to get them to quiet down on the grid (or parade laps.)
Never dissatisfied with our performance with those clutches though.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
27 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

All I know is; noise is energy, energy not going to the rear axle. Still, if it's only on the grid, or on the parade laps, that's not affecting your race laps.

Nope the chattering isn't hurting anything its loud because the levers and the pressure plate have been harden more so then any other clutch

Noise is energy used, energy not going to the rear axle. I have no idea how to determine how much energy is being used, it may be very little, but it's definitely energy not going to the rear axle.

I think the only way to determine if it's affecting performance is to figure out how to stop the noise and see if that helps.

Back