Tomar Clutch Set up.

ROTAX10

tomar clutch.jpg

Hey clutch experts I picked up a dirt kart with a Tomar 3 disk. It appears to be an older version of the Td 23. The guys at Quarter Master were no help as they can't even get ahold of their own tech guy. The clutch came off a kt100 and will be going back onto a different kt with the same jackshaft set up. The guy was around 190lbs. Im 125lbs and running approximately a 25hp KT in the 10200-10500 rpm range. And will be running Hoosier 12/9/6 treaded D30s if that makes a difference. Approximately 11.5 final gear ratio. My question is clutch set up for my weight and I guess mores specifically spring height. Also the track surface is way hooked up tight corners.

Need to know the jackshaft ratio you are running, not the final ratio.
The tire size will only determine your final ratio and have nothing to do with clutch set-up.

If the previous racer was running this same set-up, assuming it worked well and your KT is similar to his, don't change it.
Your clutch should be set up for your engine's peak torque, not so much your weight.
It does look like you're ready for some friction discs and possibly a basket considering the wear. File and dress that basket flat for sure.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Need to know the jackshaft ratio you are running, not the final ratio.
The tire size will only determine your final ratio and have nothing to do with clutch set-up.

If the previous racer was running this same set-up, assuming it worked well and your KT is similar to his, don't change it.
Your clutch should be set up for your engine's peak torque, not so much your weight.
It does look like you're ready for some friction discs and possibly a basket considering the wear. File and dress that basket flat for sure.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Yes I took care of the basket wear, (I own a motorcycle shop Thats a common issue espicially on the big four strokes) I even surfaced the top plate as it was pretty warped, My reasearch leads me to believe that may be a Bully Basket? Will bully plates fit as well? I just need it to get through one race next weekend then I will rebuild. Thanks for all your info you have been very helpful

Back