Tool fetish

95 shaw

Site Supporter
I've always been averse to buying tools that I would use only limited times. Mostly for budget reasons.

Recently, my driver moved away, but not before my budget started allowing me to purchase more of the things I perceive I needed, but never had because I didn't want to afford.

I find myself now purchasing those things, even though I am now not using them.

Anyone else have this affliction?

Yep I'm one too

Worse yet is I also often buy one of the special cool tools that have to be had just in case for my son and son in law too.

But sometimes they come in handy too like the long red nylon/plastic with metal insert for removing the hose under the sink connecting to the faucet you can't remover without taking it off first.

I feel your pain.
I recently purchased a tool to install/remove the heat sync on the 206/WF heads. What I hacked out here in the shop worked just fine for several years now, but I couldn't resist a "cool looking" tool that does the exact same thing. It IS a good piece, btw. Available from Chris Cirillo. (sp)
Anyone care to buy a well used one made from an old chisel? LOL

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I have the same issue. My wife hates when I go to a garage sale with her. I buy all kinds of tools then she asks the question "what do you need that for?" My answer normally is "because I don't want to take my good tools to the track" lol

I have the same issue. My wife hates when I go to a garage sale with her. I buy all kinds of tools then she asks the question "what do you need that for?" My answer normally is "because I don't want to take my good tools to the track" lol
"Because I have a strict rule against lending out my race tools."

Especially if ,
it's Her turn too Pay .

Especially if ,
it's Her turn too Pay .
No I pay for them and her stuff too. But my tool box is already overflowing. Back in 2015 a buddy of mine and I were racing at a track. He was running flathead medium I was running flathead heavy. I always just brought the bare minimum of tools we needed. Well I went up to help lift his kart and start him as I owned his kart. I had a brand new set of 6 point craftsman sockets in my box which was accidentally left open. By the time we got back to the trailer the whole rail magically disappeared from my trailer. That's when I realized that I need cheap tools to take to the track and extras to loan out. I bet over the years we all have lost a lot of tools from people with sticky fingers.

I've always been averse to buying tools that I would use only limited times. Mostly for budget reasons.

Recently, my driver moved away, but not before my budget started allowing me to purchase more of the things I perceive I needed, but never had because I didn't want to afford.

I find myself now purchasing those things, even though I am now not using them.

Anyone else have this affliction?
B-b-b-but what if I'm gonna need it someday!
Jokes aside, I've recently looked into my "throw and forget" drawer and it's almost filled to the brim(never knew I've had a survival kit multitool even, probably got it from local gun store https://gritrsports.com/ at one point) ... I might have a problem too :D

Last edited:
No I pay for them and her stuff too. But my tool box is already overflowing. Back in 2015 a buddy of mine and I were racing at a track. He was running flathead medium I was running flathead heavy. I always just brought the bare minimum of tools we needed. Well I went up to help lift his kart and start him as I owned his kart. I had a brand new set of 6 point craftsman sockets in my box which was accidentally left open. By the time we got back to the trailer the whole rail magically disappeared from my trailer. That's when I realized that I need cheap tools to take to the track and extras to loan out. I bet over the years we all have lost a lot of tools from people with sticky fingers.
I hear ya! We've had air gauges, a cordless Makita impact, and gear sets all magically disappear while we're up at the fence watching the boys run. Any one of those people could have just asked and we would let them borrow anything, but instead they felt "entitled" to become owners. :(

I have a several more....even some cheap ones that I use in dirty environments or applications where extreme precision is not needed

Attachments

• IMG_0187.jpg
    IMG_0187.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 15
I hear ya! We've had air gauges, a cordless Makita impact, and gear sets all magically disappear while we're up at the fence watching the boys run. Any one of those people could have just asked and we would let them borrow anything, but instead they felt "entitled" to become owners. :(
Full set of flathead tech tools that I still have not replaced. An animal engine ready to go, on a motor mount with egt sensor.

Back