tools & spare parts

SteveS

Just starting out will be racing dirt oval next year. What are some of the must have tools and spare parts i should have on hand?

Chain breaker, spare chain, spare master link, (if you use those), fuel line, fuel filter, air filter, carb cleaner, spark plug, clutch key and bolt, zip ties, duct tape, drill and bit set, lug nuts, safety pins, wheel studs…

About 5 sets of tires or more, 2 of each standard and metric wrenches and sockets, sae and metric Allen wrenches, spare engine, spare spindles, back up body, an extra 30 lbs of lead with bolts and double nuts, oil, and the list goes on

We never had time between classes to do much repair/modification. Started out with tons of tools/spare parts and whittled it down
to the useful amount. Always carried a complete ready to go flywheel cover with new starter rope. Bought a battery ratchet to change
them quickly. Saved us at least once on the start pad (I always cranked early.) Separate out your essential tools for easy access. No need to have a pack of allen wrenches if you only use the 1/4" or a box of sockets it you only need 5/8".

Last edited:
I have a box of about every nut and bolt i hope i would need including a spare metric nut for the mychron. and a bunch of the safety pin style cotter pins. a roll of electrical tape. snap ring pliers, diagonal cutters. and a bottle of ibuprofen because i'm old and sore.

I have a box of about every nut and bolt i hope i would need including a spare metric nut for the mychron. and a bunch of the safety pin style cotter pins. a roll of electrical tape. snap ring pliers, diagonal cutters. and a bottle of ibuprofen because i'm old and sore.
A long time racer suggested I buy nuts and bolts from an industrial supplier. Much cheaper. Buy spares. He says if he needs to buy one piece of hardware he always buys a full box.

I have an assortment of SAE fasteners and a separate box of metrics. Couldnt live without them. Ive found if you buy online from Fastenall they will break boxes and ship for free to the store nearest you for free. Plus the prices are MUCH cheaper than when buying in the store.

Back