Top end lube in alcohol

In a stock appearing Preditor on alcohol, is there any benefit from running alcohol that has the top end lube in it? I know it will not pass a water test but in SA that is not an issue. Thanks, John

Of course it will help in the lubrication of the valve guides and valves as well as a little help at the top of the cylinder.

Of course it will help in the lubrication of the valve guides and valves as well as a little help at the top of the cylinder.

Then they must put top-end lube in the gas we put in our cars. How else could those engines go for over 100,000 miles if they didn’t have it.
Comments, compliments, criticisms and questions always welcome.

I run a teaspoon of Echo or other quality 50-1 two-stroke oil in all of my builds,I tell my customers to do it and have been doing it for 40+ years; Sure can't hurt

We were allowing a top lube in our Controlled engines for the purpose of saving the guides. Then along came a guy that realized " how they gonna tech fuel if they allow an additive". He went from the back to the front several weeks in a row. Then I took the top lube away from the field and he got mad and quit.

Then they must put top-end lube in the gas we put in our cars. How else could those engines go for over 100,000 miles if they didn’t have it.

Al I didn't say he needed it. I only answered the question he posed.
is there any benefit from running alcohol that has the top end lube in it?
And that answer would be Yes. That's all! How much wasn't asked and I didn't answer in that matter.

To Don's answer which I liked, We raced at a track that allowed top end lube. Won two classes the first night there. Wented back for finally setup for their big race coming up and got blown away. Couldn't breath or see to well on the line that night. So I asked the track owner what the tech was for fuel after the races. He said alky. I said how do you check it. He said we don't. I said OK! Went home and got out the Nitro Methane and went to work on the dyno. Went back to the big race and won three classes that night by a lot (pushing 38% Nitro methane - 7 hp gain on dyno - Oh and it was a one race motor, well two races - used two motors that night in three classes). The next year they had a fuel check! Enough said.

Well Thank You Sir; Just One question what are you going to cut with that valve spring cutter?? actually 2 weeks ago was toying with the idea of selling my neway 46* cutter LoL, Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Thank You Sir; Just One question what are you going to cut with that valve spring cutter?? actually 2 weeks ago was toying with the idea of selling my neway 46* cutter LoL, Dave

I have been meaning to get one anyway. I just finished the 5 bolt head I got from Gary , and need to open up the installed height on the exhaust some.. Great timing..LOL

Does gasoline have the physical and chemical properties as methanol?
I’m not a chemist and so I have no idea what that would be.
I know that they both burn, but at wildly different air/fuel ratios. I know that alky is much more resistant to detonation. This means you can run much higher compression ratios.
I know that, all things being equal, at the proper air/fuel ratios, alky makes about 10% more power.
Comments, compliments, criticisms and questions always welcome.

Al I didn't say he needed it. I only answered the question he posed.
And that answer would be Yes. That's all! How much wasn't asked and I didn't answer in that matter.

To Don's answer which I liked, We raced at a track that allowed top end lube. Won two classes the first night there. Wented back for finally setup for their big race coming up and got blown away. Couldn't breath or see to well on the line that night. So I asked the track owner what the tech was for fuel after the races. He said alky. I said how do you check it. He said we don't. I said OK! Went home and got out the Nitro Methane and went to work on the dyno. Went back to the big race and won three classes that night by a lot (pushing 38% Nitro methane - 7 hp gain on dyno - Oh and it was a one race motor, well two races - used two motors that night in three classes). The next year they had a fuel check! Enough said.

Hummmm (really....38%)? We ran "4%" in our dragster 'once' and you/we cud smell it a block away! May be different 'stuff' than you use...also, there wouldn't be enough piece's left 4a '2nd' race! :)

I’m not a chemist and so I have no idea what that would be.
I know that they both burn, but at wildly different air/fuel ratios.

Therein lies one reason why gasoline engines don't need top end lube. Methanol requires 245% of the fuel mass that gasoline does which contributes greatly to washing lube oil off of the cylinder and intake valve. It also stays colder and it harder to vaporize, so more liquid fuel comes into contact with the combustion space. Ever get pump gas on your hands in the last 15 years and have your skin turn white? That wouldn't happen if there was any lube in it. Let it evaporate out of an open container and there won't be anything left either. Gaseous fuels have no lubricity at all, but the engines that burn them last longer and stay cleaner inside than even gasoline burners.

Back