Top speed

bullerman

Was wondering what kind of speed you could get out of a box stock predator. Has anyone ever geared theirs up and got out on a long straight stretch and have someone follow them to check their speed. Was just wondering what you could get out of it.
I was watching some video of Possum Kingdom. The track measures right at a quarter mile. The best I can tell the clones were running about a 16 second lap. That would average about 60. I was told they has a 20-58 gear. Just wondering.

Wonder what kind of speed you would have on a 1/4 mile track. The reason I am asking is they are going to run a 1/4 mile track that cars run on. Some of the racers are talking about super speeds. I just don't think with a Predator they are going to be running 70 or 80 miles per hour.

In the flathead day, in a street race, no nose, the only way to see over 50-55 was in a draft.

Buller experimented with a mini sprint tail cone, reversed, on the front to make his own drafting partner.
Everyone wanted to follow the hole in the air he made.

For anyone interested in top speed that has a memory tach and a pocket calculator, WPaul just made it real easy, and most smart phones have a calculator feature.

Used to spend my time in english class with this formula :rolleyes: .
So with a 20 /60 - 34 inch rr . 3500 rpm = 38.86 mph
5000 rpm = 55.51 mph .

flattop I'm getting 37.56 MPH for 3500RPM and 53.66 MPH for 5000RPM.

Does it have something to do with day lite savings time ? LOL

WP

10-4 ! Honestly i cheated and used a computer generated spread sheet . By hand i get the exact same as you .:)
Day light savings may be an issue , upon double check im seeing different numbers, correct now . Odd .

Last edited:
10-4 ! Honestly i cheated and used a computer generated spread sheet . By hand i get the exact same as you .:)
Day light savings may be an issue , upon double check im seeing different numbers, correct now . Odd .
It’s like going to a parts store now. You want an air filter for a 1969 GTO 😎 they ask you what color the car is, if it has a factory cigarette lighter, what size tires and if it has stock hub caps. All that changes the air filter ?
Then global warming comes into play 😳

FUNNY ! When i go to the hardware store , they ask what i need .
My answer is , whats it for or what am i going to use it for .
Second , comes the more i look around the more i buy .

You run out of power to overcome aeo , and friction/weight at some point .
So yes your not going to see 80mph .
yep, we did this last year.. you actually get to a point where you can get to a speed faster and the motor will run better, but with the "drag" or down force.. you can only go so fast regardless of gearing. my.02 we could get to about 73 mph 3/8 paved oval, hoosier tires. new no soak. standard kart body. edit: animal motor..

Was wondering what kind of speed you could get out of a box stock predator. Has anyone ever geared theirs up and got out on a long straight stretch and have someone follow them to check their speed. Was just wondering what you could get out of it.
I was watching some video of Possum Kingdom. The track measures right at a quarter mile. The best I can tell the clones were running about a 16 second lap. That would average about 60. I was told they has a 20-58 gear. Just wondering.
try googling bmi karts gear calculator..but I think 50mph or so is tops w/o govenor

How much HP is a stock Predator? Kart with body work and 12HP KT100 can get up to 80 mph on an enduro track. 1/4 mile oval might not be big enough to max out the gear and stop climbing at your max HP rpm. Even if it is that's not going to be your best race gear.

Possum has been shut down for a good 5 years now, and was 1400 feet in the racing groove. You cant really tell from that since motors have changed since then, and i honestly dont remember gear we ran, and animal heavy was a 15.294 lap time for the pole i believe, in 2014.

It’s like going to a parts store now. You want an air filter for a 1969 GTO 😎 they ask you what color the car is, if it has a factory cigarette lighter, what size tires and if it has stock hub caps. All that changes the air filter ?
Then global warming comes into play 😳
You must go to Autozone.

Back