Torch on the tires

My kid has two races, both times I’ve seen people using a blow torch on the their tires.
It can’t be to get tires hit before going on the track, they’d cool down in staging.

Is this activating Prep, or are they do this to open the pores so the tires will absorb the Prep they are about to put on?

Also I’d assume if you did this wrong you could ruin the tire?

[Not advocating a torch, so your choice.]
A little more info would be good here. When do you see them using a torch?

At the trailer, before or after prepping, at the grid, before or after prepping?

There are a few reasons to use a torch, most advocate against it but it's just a reality of Karting, it can and will happen. So generally most torch at the trailer after applying prep to the tire to "Burn" the chemical in the tire. It's activating the prep and heating the rubber to drive it in. Then they'll follow with more coats and more burning or wiping and let it dry naturally from the existing heat. There are many many ways and methods this seems to be the most used. The reason I ask about when they are doing it is most tracks have a pretty strict no open flame rule for this reason. Thus everyone does it at the trailer.

If they're doing it on the grid it is generally going for the same effect, or as you said to heat the tire just enough to let it soak up more prep and dry a little faster or get more prep deeper just before going out.

Common at "goat" tracks.
They're likely burning goat in, especially if there's dew.
I've personally chosen to not partake in this activity - because of the obvious health risks of burning prep into tires and breathing all those toxic fumes. When the guy pitted beside you does it, there's not much you can do.
Most tracks do not permit open flames any more (insurance risk.) Some use a heat gun, or simply hot box their tires which is considerably safer, (especially to those around you.)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Thanks for the input. Is see them using it at the trailer, exactly what they are doing, I’m not sure. Honestly I don’t find too much downtime at the track to pay attention to such things, I seems to be jumping out my ass just getting tires ready for the next run.
It doesn’t help at all that this track reverses the Heat to Feature order. Pee Wee goes out almost last, then they are nearly the first feature. So I have to hustle.

Thanks for the input. Is see them using it at the trailer, exactly what they are doing, I’m not sure. Honestly I don’t find too much downtime at the track to pay attention to such things, I seems to be jumping out my ass just getting tires ready for the next run.
It doesn’t help at all that this track reverses the Heat to Feature order. Pee Wee goes out almost last, then they are nearly the first feature. So I have to hustle.
Theres quite a few tracks that do this, keeps folks from having to change weights so often through the day or night, etc.

Back