Torching prep

premier8

Have some questions about torching prep. I just want to know in general when do you want to torch a tire when dot to and what preps to torch and what preps not to torch. Thanks

I recommend tyre warmers, but the Torch is part of racing that we cant and will never stop. If you insist on the torch method, warm the tyre and apply your prep. Most/all preps have a low flash point and you are not doing anything but burning the prep out. Keeping the tyre warm and applying prep till about dry then repeat process. I do not ever recommend torching a tyre that is wet. DANGER!!!!!!!

That's my 2 cents.
KB

Also consider a heat gun to warm the tires (less damage to the rubber, and less chance on the flaming marshmallow effect.)

I prefer to put them in a hot box, but tire warmers will work if you don't have access to a box. I've seen nights where nothing beats burning several coats of goat into a tire -- not the kind of track I like, but once in a while that's what is fast - I just refuse to burn preps in. If, with all the tires we carry to the track with us, I don't have a set already prepared or can't get enough prep into a certain set of tires, I'll accept the tire disadvantage that night. I HATE killing tires at the track. :)

----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com

Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry

765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I don't like to do it either, but when it is needed, it's the only way to go if time is a problem. If you don't do it, you'll get beat by the guys who do

Back