Torque wrench?

What torque wrenches are you guys using? I've been looking and can't find a torque wrench that goes high enough to torque head bolts. What are you using?

Most 3/8 torque wrenches will go high enough, but some are ft. lbs. 216 inch lbs = 18 ft. lbs.
Craftsman 3/8-in Drive Micro-Clicker Torque Wrench
Model # 31423
  • 3/8" Drive
  • 25-250 in-lbs

That is a typical 3/8 torque wrench, it should be harder to find one that is accurate at such a low torque level. The head bolts do not get tightened beyond 200-220 in/lb you are not looking for 200 ft/lb are you?

That is a typical 3/8 torque wrench, it should be harder to find one that is accurate at such a low torque level. The head bots do not get tightened beyond 200-220 in/lb you are not looking for 200 ft/lb are you?
I know exactly what I'm looking for. I'm NOT new to working on engines. I've built multiple hot rods from the ground up. Including building my own engines, transmissions and rear ends. Finding a torque wrench that has a range large enough to accurately torque head bolts seems to be a bit of a problem.

I know exactly what I'm looking for. I'm NOT new to working on engines. I've built multiple hot rods from the ground up. Including building my own engines, transmissions and rear ends. Finding a torque wrench that has a range large enough to accurately torque head bolts seems to be a bit of a problem.
Don't you hate it when some people treat you like the village idiot for asking a simple question.

Sure do. Like I don't know the difference between inch pounds and foot pounds. REALLY!!!!!!

I'm sorry you feel that way.
I had no idea that you were an experienced engine builder.
I have not found it to be a problem getting an inch pounds torque wrench that fits our needs for these engines. I have several currently and the one I prefer to use for head bolts goes to 300 inch pounds. I like it best since it keeps the torque that we use in the middle of it's resolution. I believe it is an Armstrong brand 3/8" drive. I picked it up from an aircraft surplus supply.

I HAVE seen many DIY'ers who ask questions on here use the wrong torque wrench, snap off head bolts, & distort blocks over the years.
BTW, I see that you are new here...welcome to the forums. :)

As you quoted my response first, if it made you feel upset there is not much more I can say. It was a simple question, you are looking at in/lbs not ft/lbs, your experience matters nought it is still possible you made a mistake, it is done every day. What range are you looking for in a torque wrench?

Hopefully a helpfull hint. I have a very old beam type torgue wrench that l hook to my clerk type wrench with a sguare socket an check the click type for acuracy because the beam type never varrys. And it sa es sending one in to be checked

Back