Track dimensions???

jacobsdad

My son will be racing 1/8 mile dirt oval. A friend wants to build him a practice track on his property. I was wondering what the typical length is for the straightaways and the typical radius of the turns is. We are not as concerned about making a perfect track with banked corners, just something he can drive around for the next few months to get some experience behind the wheel, and get his confidence up a little.

My son will be racing 1/8 mile dirt oval. A friend wants to build him a practice track on his property. I was wondering what the typical length is for the straightaways and the typical radius of the turns is. We are not as concerned about making a perfect track with banked corners, just something he can drive around for the next few months to get some experience behind the wheel, and get his confidence up a little.

Most dirt tracks are just various shapes of ovoids.........with no straightaways. :)

Try Google Earth or a similar satellite view website and check out the track that he will be racing at. If you're going to build a practice track, you might as well build it to the same basic configuration of the track that he will be racing on. Thinking like the movie Hoosiers (same height basket, takes away the intimidation factor of going to a track for the first time.) :)

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I have seen the setup on several tracks we might be running at. I was just curious if there was a standard radius for the curves etc.

our backyard track is 1/4mile,, tri-oval,, we call it mini degga, to build a track and get around the corners, without pinching them off,, they need to be like 46-48% of the straights..ours is 380 feet downs the straights and around 225-240 radius in the corners,, and its bad fast with little banking

sorry

our backyard track is 1/4mile,, tri-oval,, we call it mini degga, to build a track and get around the corners, without pinching them off,, they need to be like 46-48% of the straights..ours is 380 feet downs the straights and around 225-240 radius in the corners,, and its bad fast with little banking

56-58%

Sounds like fun:).....

Back