Track size/ clutch driver chart

This could get interesting and maybe fun. Anyone have a suggestive chart for track size and suggested clutch drivers for that track. And perhaps an easy as possible way to determine track size. Here we go.

One normal step is about 3 feet. You could practice with a tape measure. Walk across the infield at the track in question, multiplied by 3, that gives you the diameter of the turns, assuming both turns are about the same. Walk down the straightaway, count the steps, multiplied by 3, double it. Pi times the diameter +2 times the straightaway = track length.

With the diameters you can make reasonably close estimation as of the proper rear stagger.

Gear ratio; my plan would have the gear ratio such as to reach peak RPM just before the end of the straight. The only practice can determine that.

No chart .
Track size------- walk up to the staging area .
Wow that's big = Add two driver sizes .
Dang it's small = remove two teeth from the driver .
100 Thousand comedians outta work ---- I know :rolleyes:
Honestly, I've karted enough now that once I see a track, I'm pretty confident in the driver gear needed for that track. I also go by the old unwritten sprocket rule of keeping the driver choice within the #59 to #64 tooth sprocket range. Part of my question is how do you accurately determine if a track is accurately 1/10, 1/5, whatever? Just a guy always wanting to know,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Safest bet is to just ask other races what to run. Or the track promotor. wWlk thru the pits, see what they have. There are no absolutes in dirt racing.

Honestly, I've karted enough now that once I see a track, I'm pretty confident in the driver gear needed for that track. I also go by the old unwritten sprocket rule of keeping the driver choice within the #59 to #64 tooth sprocket range. Part of my question is how do you accurately determine if a track is accurately 1/10, 1/5, whatever? Just a guy always wanting to know,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Just rolling that around in my head and I come up with this.

Is there a track whos size you absolutely know? Use that knowledge is a gauge to estimate other tracks as being bigger or smaller. Using my base track as a model, I would estimate the infield diameter then estimate the straightaway length. I'm pretty sure I could use that method to estimate + or -1 driver size. That would cover 3 drivers. It would then just be a matter of testing (or estimating) for the appropriate axle gear. The more experience you have at it, the better you'll get.

No chart .
Track size------- walk up to the staging area .
Wow that's big = Add two driver sizes .
Dang it's small = remove two teeth from the driver .
100 Thousand comedians outta work ---- I know :rolleyes:
I don't know if there are 100 thousand now, but there sure will be.

I think all the big driver small driver theories are being proven wrong with these ultra small driver and rear gears out now. Has me questioning everything I’ve been told!!!

Back