Tracks running predators?

Tlcarkansas

Me and my son finally got us a clone and now everywhere we go we're running against predators. I see a lot of tracks advertising predator classes. Are the majority of these classes modified or box stock?

Around here they run the modified predator mixed with the akra clone. The predator has around a 3-4 hp advantage and before I have one built I would like to know that there are more places to run them than just the one or two tracks around here.

I think the real issue with the Predators is which one is legal..
Theirs been 3 or 4 different ones thus far and now the newest one has grown to 8 hp..
Us as builders keep getting call on general parts and upgrades.. Man we can't keep up with all the changes..
I guess the real question is,, are you really saving any money with this engine?

I'm dealing with the same thing,built a clone kart,get out there&Im 1of2 clones! Everyone's running predators. The other 196cc is one of the front runners,so they can run with the predators I think,with the right set-up.....which I dont have yet! Lol Even a couple of the predator karts that are 100#+ heavier walk away from me,so I have a ways to go.
Or build a predator! Lol

Yep Jerry they keep changing suppliers, and they'll continue to change since kart racing is not their priority.
Just like the clones keep changing. It's probably AKRA's biggest weakness - trying to standardize and equalize rules based off a platform that's liquid.

nah....let them suckers breathe and fart right.....swap out the stock air filter and let them use a racing type....stay away from the weenie pipe, give em the big pipe and let em roar!

We run out of the box at Blew By You Speedway in Castor, LA. The Jr.1 is no modifications and a drum clutch 14-65 gears, Jr.2 we unhook the governor and run a weenie pipe, muffler and drum clutch 14-65 gear, Adults unhook the governor open clutch rule, any gear ratio and any big pipe allowed. All classes run the stock air box.

Don't think you will see to many of the new 301cc Predators at the track. I got my first up close look at the new 301cc 8hp predator this week. Was hoping it would have a design similar to the 212cc, but I was disappointed. This new engine seems to be the same as their old 11hp engine. It has the same dimensions and a 7/8" crank. It is definitely a big block and it weighs in at 55lbs, plus it will need a special mount. Be better to just get a GX390, same dimensions with more to offer.

I think the real issue with the Predators is which one is legal..
Theirs been 3 or 4 different ones thus far and now the newest one has grown to 8 hp..
Us as builders keep getting call on general parts and upgrades.. Man we can't keep up with all the changes..
I guess the real question is,, are you really saving any money with this engine?
Allow me too shed some light on that Jerry...from my view-point (and favors you as well)! 'Lot's' of folks are bailing from 'Clone' (just becuz) and favoring the 'new' Predator and goin 'Dirt' rac'n on local tracks that have 'minimum' rules that stress the 'fun' factor. The good/bad of it, it's working...4now! The advantage it has is that most people can 'again' walk into their HF store and pick one up for ($99) and no '$40' shipping charges. It also appears that there is no major 'safety' concern or beating-the-drum too mandate $100 flywheels! There appears 2b an equal balance of 'box-stock' interest verses 'modified' interest across the country and I/myself...I really do like what the new (Clone compatible) 'Hemi' Predator offers the 'true' engine builder! I my mind/view, Clone has missed the boat by ignoring the 'modified' action and is over-burdened in Rules! I can produce a 25hp Predator too a 'customers' specification for less than 4figures and I am/can smile from ear-2-ear! JMO (obviously)

Be aware the flywheels on these Predators are a lot more prone to break than the clones. We found about 20 cracked flywheels out of more than a thousand clones, but so far have found 9 cracked wheels in the first 70 predators. Have seen 2 pop already here locally, so I don't even trust them to be a good boat anchor. I don't know why we have seen so many already or why they are cracking so easy but you better check them close.

Be aware the flywheels on these Predators are a lot more prone to break than the clones. We found about 20 cracked flywheels out of more than a thousand clones, but so far have found 9 cracked wheels in the first 70 predators. Have seen 2 pop already here locally, so I don't even trust them to be a good boat anchor. I don't know why we have seen so many already or why they are cracking so easy but you better check them close.

I am curious where are you seeing the cracks starting at? We have several of these engines running at our local track and do not want anyone to get hurt.

Thanks,
Blaise

i'm wondering too....after seeing crappy head bolts snap at 60 inch pounds and now hearing about the flywheels...kind of concerned....although i'm running a stock appearing with the billet flywheels, i do know a few fellow racers that are looking at running a box stock predator and a flywheel that can come apart at speed....well that's worrisome....

Back