Traction Problems

I run on a small backyard track made of very sandy clay. As long as there is moisture in the track the clay holds the sand in place. The problem is when it starts drying out I start spinning the tires off the corners. The tires never make any heat. The track never takes any rubber. I run yellow Vegas that punch 34-38. I have been using Black Sand and Topaz during the week and let the tires cure for 3 days before using them. I need more bite.

Get the grooving iron out or buy some treads. If its as sandy and coming apart as bad as i'm picturing you need to be able to dig down in it. Might also try going on down on air if you don't want to groove or buy additional tires.

I've never raced dirt, but I did work as flagmen at the San Jose California track. They always wet the track down before race. They raced Saturday afternoon and evening. The track tended not to dry out, but there were times when they had to wait it down between the heats and the main. Point is, they kept it.wet. Dirt dries out, it gets slippery, not much you can do about that. Softer tires, more tire treatment, lower air pressures, hang on. I'm pretty sure a concerted effort, at maintaining the track, would help. Kart set up and tire treatments can help, but you still have a dry dusty track.

I've never raced dirt, but I did work as flagmen at the San Jose California track. They always wet the track down before race. They raced Saturday afternoon and evening. The track tended not to dry out, but there were times when they had to wait it down between the heats and the main. Point is, they kept it.wet. Dirt dries out, it gets slippery, not much you can do about that. Softer tires, more tire treatment, lower air pressures, hang on. I'm pretty sure a concerted effort, at maintaining the track, would help. Kart set up and tire treatments can help, but you still have a dry dusty track.
We have made numerous requests for more water. As long as the track has enough water there is no problem. Once the sand starts gathering on the top you just have do the best you can.

I'm not a doctor... But I played one on TV:)

We have made numerous requests for more water. As long as the track has enough water there is no problem. Once the sand starts gathering on the top you just have do the best you can.
My local track gets very marblely, its not sand, but they blow the marbles off the top between the heats and features, or anytime that it gets un raceable. I prefer the blown off line over adding more water any day.

Back