Tractor brake fluid

flattop1

Dawg 89
I'm working on a case 580 backhoe . It uses hydraulictrans fluid as brake fluid, which is a mineral oil.
Some one previously ordered parts 2 master cylinders and 2 slave cylinders .
Got the brake assembly rebuilt and installed . Went to change the masters and see they state use dot 3 only.
There is no indication on the slaves as to what too use. Or the boxs.

The rubbers are a differnt color black vs green on the originals.
Any one know a way to tell which fluid the new slaves may use.
I have seen on the tractor fourms that some recommend using fork lift parts as alternative to the expensive case parts..
Thanks Tony

Last edited:
I think the problem would be changing from dot 3 to dot 4 or 5 brake fluids.

Generally, transdraulic fluids are way less aggressive to rubbers and plastics than brake fluids.

Yes the old stuff came apart great. They want me to put the new stuff on. Which states dot3 on master. I can only assume they got the correct matching slaves .
My dilemma do I swap out too all new hopeing dot 3 is correct . Or reuse the old stuff I know uses case hytran.
I'm leaning this way as it will be simpler in that I wont need to change the masters just rr the slaves with the originals.
They appeared to work , the bands were shot and maladjusted.

I think, as stated, hytran won't hurt new seals. I've ran new regular o-rings against dot 3 fluid in the race car clutch with no problems.

Our 588g forklift supplies the masters from the hyd reservoir. All leaks we have had have been from lines rubbing on something.

The silicon fluids are where the probs come from.

Fwiw, i add dot 3 to the floor jack when the seals start to seep.

Clears that right up.

For the dissenters, it is an extremely closed system, that is already leaking.

Thanks. Kinda like the hytran you can use the new better stuff in the old machines but not the old stuff in the new machines.

Oils are all about additive packages
Interestingly, 15w40 engine oil, and 80w90 gear oil start from the same base oil.

The difference is in the additives.
Wear additives and particale size is the difference in old and new oils.

Gasoline branding, more of the same.

Finally got back too this.
Took the new slave off installed the old one. Fresh new Kubota udt hytran fluid.
Pumped up worked good.
The other side is of course the hard side. What the heck I'll try it and see if the dot3 slave will work with hytran.
The new cylinder leaked , of course it's made in Turkey and the bore dosen't look any better then the original 40 year old one.
So off with the new on with the old.
Bam pumps up good both work fine.
I will inspect the faulty slave tommorow.

couple conclusions. either the seal won't hold hydraulic fluid or the bore is so bad it will not seal.
the bore looks like it was done on a drill press. needs a hone job for sure.
no torn or rolled seal.
Poor quality part.

one more Question.
Well first a note . Tractor had no brakes now the driver says------ I've really got too push hard on the pedal. (here's a Tissue)
any way My hydraulic experience is close to nill . my brain is telling me there would be no pressure differential between hydraulic fluid and brake fluid with all the pistons being the same size. In other words switching fluids is not going to increase applied pressure.

Fluid viscosity will hurt flow. Ultimately, pressure are the same, provided master and slave cylinders are the same bores as the originals.

If the masters are larger than original, then more pedal effort required to get same line pressure.
Are there multiple holes for the linkage where the master connects to pedal?

Not that I remember. Its totally manual . I went with the originals.
Dot3 being thinner may react quicker.
Thanks for confirming my thoughts.
The brakes work so that's all I wanted.
Now the cotton picken fan belts broke and they want me to fix that.

Back