Traditional Sprocket VS Mini Sprockets

WPAKarter

So I’m curious about mini sprockets, almost all kids in my sons class which runs a 79cc predator, are running this mini sprockets. So a guy whose daughters is in the group says he’s on a 14/49 to a 14/52 mini set up. My son is currently on a 13/60 was going to try a 13/57 standard sprocket before we had carb issues and had to call it a day. My question is the performance variables between standard sprockets and mini’s, and I have 2 engines with brand new 13 tooth clutches I don’t really want to buy more clutches at the moment, where would be a starting point going to mini sprockets, that 57 range or possibly lower or higher due to the diameter difference?

I personally would hold off .
New cut tires would be a better option in my opinion. If the person you asked says 14 /49 thats as good a place as any . Thats a 3.5-1 ratio your on a 4.6-1 big difference .

If not opposed to going to the (apparently needed) mini sprockets, leave the 13 clutch, and go to the mini sprockets to 45-48 range to get same axle speed.
Depending on track, should be slightly quicker up off the corner, which may need a tweak in ratio at the big end to get full potential.

Or, switch to a larger driver (15-18) to get the nearly the same ratio, with less pull off the corner. This may require slight tweak to take advantage of pull on top.
Will need to maximize momentum with this setup to be successful

Seems you are on wrong ratio range, providing engines and tire sizes, etc are equal.

Edit
Appears to be gear bound, and/or tire bound, if attaining desired rpm range with current setup.
In low hp situations, roll speed is king.

Last edited:
If not opposed to going to the (apparently needed) mini sprockets, leave the 13 clutch, and go to the mini sprockets to 45-48 range to get same axle speed.
Depending on track, should be slightly quicker up off the corner, which may need a tweak in ratio at the big end to get full potential.

Or, switch to a larger driver (15-18) to get the nearly the same ratio, with less pull off the corner. This may require slight tweak to take advantage of pull on top.
Will need to maximize momentum with this setup to be successful

Seems you are on wrong ratio range, providing engines and tire sizes, etc are equal.

Edit
Appears to be gear bound, and/or tire bound, if attaining desired rpm range with current setup.
In low hp situations, roll speed is king.
Yes the whole class is equaled on engines, tire size etc. we’re just getting started my son has ran 2 race days and half of this previous one before carb issues ended is early, he’s rolling though, he’s flat footing and runs a real smooth, complete control race. Still gaining knowledge on gearing and ratios, but he’s truthfully not far off from running up front contending.

Back