Traffic Circles

paulkish

old fart
We just got one near our home and we will use it just about every day we go out.

What I can't figure out is why someone with one of them drifter cars hasn't yet put tire marks all around it. ... :)

There called a Roundabouts here, when I first saw the design here I said ya might as well put a hospital in the middle, but amazingly they work well and very few crashes in them.

I remember when I lived in Kent in the ‘80’s, my cousin and I spent alot of time at Russo’s gun shop in Tallmadge. There was a circle there that was very busy. Drove around many, many times. First time I’d ever seen one. Good memories.

I remember when I lived in Kent in the ‘80’s, my cousin and I spent alot of time at Russo’s gun shop in Tallmadge. There was a circle there that was very busy. Drove around many, many times. First time I’d ever seen one. Good memories.
I've used that traffic circle many times both when I was working and today.
All in all I took the wrong exit there proly bout 4% of the time and never did really learn which road from it when where. ... :)

I think one road from it went to what I called the ugly Mall of Akron.
Every time I went into that Mall it seemed it was full of ugly people, including me. ... :)

Been there too Paul. Kinda was a local hangout when people actually interacted without phones! Lol. Good times.

There called a Roundabouts here, when I first saw the design here I said ya might as well put a hospital in the middle, but amazingly they work well and very few crashes in them.
Y'all from out east use a different terminology .
How about a Jug-handle ?
No left turns !

Y'all from out east use a different terminology .
How about a Jug-handle ?
No left turns !
We use same terminology here also but Jug- Handle is different not full circle, and actually are designed to mostly turn left from them, after you exit right used to eliminate U-turn crossovers to go opposite direction , Roundabouts ( traffic circles ) yes No left turns.

There is a town near me that has a roundabout painted on the existing pavement intersection----for sure a low tech/low cost way to do it.

Flattop1 take it easy on us Jersey Boy's .The Somerville circle had 5 major highways going into it ,was a trick to navigate in a 64 eco online with no windows lol later Chuck.

I owe the state of Massachusetts nothing, with one exception; flying into Boston and driving to my destination in NH in the mid '70s and beyond, taught me the laws and the traditions governing the use of roundabouts/traffic circles/whatever they are called in your area. Up there they were well designed and worked fine once you learned the ropes, which didn't take long. While I didn't miss them when the extensions to I-95 bypassed most of them as the years went by, it was a valuable group of lessons. Based on what I learned about traffic circle design in Mass led me to rapidly realize that traffic engineers in MD didn't have a clue with respect to how to design a safe and useful traffic circle, at least when they started showing up in Prince Georges, Ann Arundel and Baltimore counties, and should have consulted with Massachusetts. To this day the stupidest and most dangerous dangerous traffic circle I have ever seen was built in Prince Georges county when I lived there. Up here in south central PA, where I live now (York County), they have put in a couple in the last 5 years or so; they are better than Maryland, but they still should have taken lessons from those that designed them for Massachusetts; though larger in diameter than the really bad ones in MD, they are still too small for a semi to negotiate cleanly, and that's before you get to 53' trailers. At least around here they have put sloped curbs on the inside boundary, so the trailers can easily run up over the inside curb while negotiating them.

I guess from all the posts there not for doing donuts.

By the way I forgot about my first traffic circle around the "Arc de Triomphe" Paris in my new 67 mini.

Back