Trailer air conditioner BTU recommendations

7KRacing

I have a 16 foot enclosed trailer we use for karting and looking to get an air conditioner for it. Any opinions on Air Conditioner BTU sizes and/or roof versus mobile models? Planning on finding some of the plastic strips for the back door as well.
Thanks in advance.

Look for a 1-2 ton unit...1 ton of cooling is 12,000 btu's, roof top unit like said above is easier and out of the way, plus it shoots down instead of trying to blow up.
Easier for cold air to drop then rise.

I'm looking to put a small window unit in a 12x6. I was thinking of putting it on the floor of the side door then using plastic strips on the ramp door and side door. With such a small trailer would this work ok? That way I could take it out of the door when not in use and not have to worry about cutting a hole in the trailer.

Anything will work...it won't be the most efficient way of cooling... And you will have to check the filter more often, being close to the floor...always better to have it mounted as high as you can.
Better than nothing!

to 7k racing if you are in a 16 foot trailer with stripping a 7000 btu should be fine. roof mount will keep you from cutting side of trailer.

Roof mount ACs are fine if the roof structure is reinforced for the weight of the AC. If the roof structure is not reinforced, the weight of the Roof Mount AC bouncing on the roof as the trailer is being towed can cause the roof to sag.........sometimes badly.
Wall mounts are fine if the wall structure is reinforced for the AC weight.

A local man that uses his 20 ft enclosed for Summer Craft events, has installed a residential portable AC on a stand at the interior front of his trailer, with the AC vented thru the wall..........he claims that it fits-the-bill nicely.

I have a 13,500 btu unit installed in my roof of my 8x16 trailer. The roof is reinforced for it. I close the side and have the large plastic strips on the back opening to keep the cool air in. It works very well in the southern heat.

I had one on a 30 ft trailer I had. It was on the trailer roof when I bought it. I think it was a Carrier. It was both an A/C and a heater. Worked great with the cool curtains over the doors. It was nice one year when it was 36 degrees in Savanna when I raced at Robeling Road.

Get the biggest one you can, you can always turn it down. I have 2 15,000 BTU units in my trailer, and worth every penny on those Really Hot Days !!

I seen Summit Racing has some plastic strips but they are pretty spendy. I have seen some on craigslist in the past but did not act, hoping I get lucky and find some there again.

Last edited:
If you have an rv dealer close by, some times they have a used roof mount,that was removed for a bigger unit. Check sevral dealers you might get lucky. Blow down roof mounts are fairly easy to install. Roof truss are 16" oc. The hole is for the unit is 14 1/2" x 14 1/2". It also helps to at least insulate ceiling. Good racing, jr.

Back