Trailer size, what's your prefference?

TAT

So.... What would Yall call a good size trailer for karting? I know that's a very open ended question but what size is what you would want to stay with? I have a 16' v nose(plus the 2' in the v) that is great for what I carry now. I also have 6x12 that's very easy to use and pulls great. I could go racing with either and be fine. The more room the better but sometimes that's not an option. So let's hear it! Heck, post pics of your set up if you want to! Have a good one!

TAT

I went from a 6x12 last year to a 8.5 by 20 this year. I am still in the process of putting in electric, tire racks, cabinets, shelves, etc. Only have the lights installed. The price was right for the trailer brand new so we went ahead and got it. I am going to move to mini sprints in the next couple years so this trailer will work great for that also. I only pulled it once to get it home but it pulled great down the interstate even with strong crosswinds I still had no issues at 75 mph down the road.

We have towed a 14x7 for years, and it has been fine for karts. It has also hauled cars from various small small car classes (mostly 600 micros, an Inex Legend and once in awhile a midget), and for these cars it has been adequate, especially the micro. Based on my experiences with any thing larger than a kart in that trailer ( for 19 years), our recommendation would be to start with nothing smaller than an 8x16 (a v nose would be great) if you have any thoughts of moving up in size to any class larger than a kart. Within reasonable limits, if your hauler can haul it at its loaded weight and you are comfortable towing a trailer of xy' length, the bigger the better. We have had a full sized 3/4 ton crew cab pickup for a hauler for over 10 years and have comfortably hauled trailers up to 28' and 11500 pounds. Not sure we would like to haul one much longer than that, at least not without trying someone else's first, but 28' was no problem at all.

When you go over that 28 foot length . You will need a good vehicle and the difficulty goes up real fast.
No doubt Outrider could do it , not for the weak of heart.

The 6x12 is great if you’re on your own but I have simply outgrown it. The thing that I keep running into shopping for a trailer is to go from a 7x16 to and 8.5x20 is only like $800 difference in price. But at that point you must consider what you will be pulling it with.

Definitely you do need to consider what you have to pull it with. Years ago when we got the 7x14, we weren't worried that the loaded weight would be almost the max tow weight for the V6 Chev S10 that would tow it, but you could tell the truck was working very hard. We knew that we would be getting a V8 half ton in a couple of months, so not to worry, just be careful. Fast forward another 7 years, and we got a full crew cab 3/4 ton GMC Duramax diesel, which made any thoughts of towing any trailer we are likely likely to attempt to tow a non-worry deal. This, even with a 2007 model in the fall of 2006 purchased from the dealer that was the wing sponsor on my 600 driver's 358 sprint, is not a cheap solution, it just meant I didn't have to negociate all day to get the lowest price. IF you can afford this solution, we highly recommend it; this one looks like it will outlive me - it seems to want to run forever, and gets good fuel mileage even when towing.

While when it comes to trailers I always say bigger is better when possible but when we were "full time" Road Racing with my kart our 16' enclosed was perfect for us. Enough room to have everything we needed to bring along and still had area to work on the kart inside when weather was inclement. Trailer was decked out with every imaginable accessory (tire and jug racks, etc) had an onboard air-compressor and fully installed electric and lights. Just had to plug in to our motorhome or bring along generator when we just took the truck. That same size trailer worked great also for when our boys were running Junior Sprints locally. That was a great little trailer we truly got a lot of use out of. It's still in action being used by a local dirt racer.

We've now stepped the game up a bit now and tow an inline V-Nose that is 29' long as when the kart isn't with us it's either a Legend Car or Mini Sprint we're taking with. All aluminum, also completely wigged out on accessories, onboard generator and compressor, microwave, fridge, etc etc. Still comes in pretty light and easily tows with our motorhome or Ecoboost F150.

Hey Jeff, if you're only hauling one legend or one mini sprint at a time in that jewel, you need to find tracks that run both classes on the same night..... :)

I have an 8 x 16, has a tabletop with drawers across the front, maybe 18 inches deep. I can put 2 karts nose-to-tail in it and haul a lot of totes alongside of karts, a canopy, chairs, tires, fuel, air tank, and gas cans fairly easily. I know if i jumped up to a 24 footer I'd have it just as full in the first 2 weeks of using it.

I have an 8 x 16, has a tabletop with drawers across the front, maybe 18 inches deep. I can put 2 karts nose-to-tail in it and haul a lot of totes alongside of karts, a canopy, chairs, tires, fuel, air tank, and gas cans fairly easily. I know if i jumped up to a 24 footer I'd have it just as full in the first 2 weeks of using it.
There's no doubt the bigger it is the more you take . They get heavy fast.
We use a 6/16 haul everything Mike stated add a couple spare engines scales stand tires spare parts bead breaker and everything else I or someone else might need.
Have too stand one kart on the bumper if hauling two.

Last summer I had the bright idea of running 3 karts, bought a stacker for the front two karts, followed by the 3rd kart. Looked great on paper but when it came time to load the trailer I could barely push the loaded stacker up the trailer ramps by myself.

Hey Jeff, if you're only hauling one legend or one mini sprint at a time in that jewel, you need to find tracks that run both classes on the same night..... :)
Around here in S.E. Wisconsin no track runs both classes together on a weekly basis. I think maybe two or three times a season both classes are on the same card when
each series travels to a different track. I surely can fit both in the trailer.... however I'm not too certain I could pull it off running both cars on the same night. I am not as young as I used to be, :ROFLMAO:? Though I bet I could talk one of my kids to run one of them. lol

Back