Trailer Tires

SkyCat45

Looking to replace my 7x14 two axle trailer tires (size 205/75R15’s). I would like to get recommendations on what is the best tires to go with, and what tires to stay away from? Thanks in advance for your replies!!

Your results might vary . Ive ran cheap ones and expensive ones .
They all blow out . High speed high heat makes it worse .
Honestly maxxis were pretty good . If you can get 8 ply . Or look at the number of ply on there now and get a minumum 2 ply more .

The local tire store has Blacklion tires. I’ve never heard of that brand so it makes me skeptical. 8-ply is what they are saying is the heaviest ply I can get in that size.

We just went went through an ordeal with trailer tires. We had two blow-outs coming back from a track in OK. They were OEM tires on a new trailer (some type of Chinese brand). Maybe two years old.

I bought Goodyear tires - I will say, the truck does not move around as much as before with the new tires. I did upgrade the load rating on the new tires and it has helped a lot.

I've found tire noise is one thing about non name brand tires that is different , IE much noisier .
Trailer tires thats not a concern .
Carlisle are availbe at most farm stores and tire shops , just an average tire , hercules were better obviously goodyear cooper firestone are big name . With good reputation .

Inspect the tread area on old tires , dry rot there is not as obvious as on the sidewalls , especially on tralier that sit alot or on dirt . A tire that looks good may be shot on the bottom .
Might save a blow out .
Keep them aired up to max pressue.

Just a heads-up; I recently purchased 4 new Goodyears for our trailer and all say "made in China" right on them. I was a bit disappointed to say the least, BUT the price was $64 ea shipped to my local Wal-Mart. Certainly no complaints on the price.
Over the years I've had the best success with General trailer tires, but they were twice the price of the Goodyears I just put on.
OEM on this trailer (7X14) was Goodyear, so I wanted to give them another try.
Maxxis were pretty good on another trailer I had previously, I wouldn't be afraid to purchase those again.
MOST tires are coming from China today and are pure synthetic (ie plastic.) Plastic doesn't do well in extreme temperatures (hot or cold.) Our cold winters won't do them any good, so don't expect them to last long.

As for sidewall: I prefer the soft sidewall (2 ply) with a stiffer tread ply for trailers. The soft sidewall tires act more like shock absorbers and your trailer will ride significantly smoother. They also dissipate heat better, so they're not as susceptible to over heating and blowing at high speed (not that any of us ever run late to the track.)
Now, if you are way overloaded for the weight rating of the tire, then I'd suggest going to load range E or F tires to better accommodate the weight and sidewall deflection.

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

ALSO!!! Check your pressures EVERY TIME you use your trailer. Low pressures are a tire killer. If tandem axle, it's even more important. Keep the PSI at the upper end of the range. We also change all four tires every 3 or 4 years regardless of their wear.
Just my two cents,
Clark Gaynor Sr.

Just a heads-up; I recently purchased 4 new Goodyears for our trailer and all say "made in China" right on them. I was a bit disappointed to say the least, BUT the price was $64 ea shipped to my local Wal-Mart. Certainly no complaints on the price.
Over the years I've had the best success with General trailer tires, but they were twice the price of the Goodyears I just put on.
OEM on this trailer (7X14) was Goodyear, so I wanted to give them another try.

Brian,

The Goodyear Marathon went to China years ago. I never had a problem but the internet buzz was showing more issues with newer ones. Goodyear's website only shows the Endurance now so I bet the imported tires are being phased out, hence the cheap price. I bought the Endurance last year for my trailer and am happy but they weren't $64ea.

David

ALSO!!! Check your pressures EVERY TIME you use your trailer. Low pressures are a tire killer. If tandem axle, it's even more important. Keep the PSI at the upper end of the range. We also change all four tires every 3 or 4 years regardless of their wear.
Just my two cents,
Clark Gaynor Sr.
Also slowing down helps, 70 mph in your truck, the trailer tires could be doing near 100

I have decided to go with the Goodyear Endurance. Thank you all for your comments, I have appreciated the help!!! ?

Any preference as to a bias tire vs. a radial tire? Had a blow out on the way home this past weekend. The trailer currently has bias tires on it. Can you mix and match bias and radials? I know you shouldn't on a car, but can't get a definitive answer on a trailer.

" I bought the Endurance last year for my trailer and am happy but they weren't $64ea."

Yep - bought the Endurance as well. I wish they were $64 :oops:.

I do check pressures and temps while traveling. And like Jamie said, staying at a reasonable speed makes a difference as well. This time I bought the tire insurance. Mgr at Discount Tires told me they will reimburse the replacement cost even if I have to buy elsewhere while traveling.

Any preference as to a bias tire vs. a radial tire? Had a blow out on the way home this past weekend. The trailer currently has bias tires on it. Can you mix and match bias and radials? I know you shouldn't on a car, but can't get a definitive answer on a trailer.
If your in tim buck two and have no other choice .
Otherwise its not recomended practice .

Something else you might not be aware of is the actual speed rating on an actual trailer tire (not a passenger car tire) is rated at 55 mph at max air pressure on the tire , not all , but 90 to 95 % are . But it's funner to run 75 mph to keep up with traffic on the interstate but speed creates heat and heat is the biggest killer on tires . So when purchasing tires for your trailer make sure you check the speed rating , it will be designated with a letter on the sidewall and the dealer should have book that shows the rating .

8 ply tires on a 14" wheel is over doing it , most 14" wheel axles are 2500 lb , go with radials, usually you blow the rear tires, ( the front tires pick up the nails) , always put the new tires on the front axel , you can date a tire from the DOT# ,Last 4 - 2014 , 20th week of 14 . Pull the tires off after 5 or 6 years, you can also spray them with PB Blaster once or twice a year if they sit a lot

That explains the time my trailer was all ready in my pit spot when I got there.
Pulling
That explains the time my trailer was all ready in my pit spot when I got there.
well its the truth, idiots run up and down the highway flying, and the little tires on the trailers cant handle it ,33 in tall tire spinning at 5500 rpms how fast is the 22 inch tire spinning? are the tires on the trailer high speed rated?

Back