Traimaster Mini XRX Help

sbonomo

I purchased a Trailmaster Mini XRX for my boys last Christmas. They love it but it has been throwing the chain since day one. I don't believe the engine is properly aligned. I have already replaced the chain once and the sprocket gear. Does anyone know of a upgraded drive system that would work? I see the that Mid XRX runs on a belt driven torque converter. Is it possible to install this on the mini xrx? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• kart 2.jpg
    kart 2.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 45
  • kart 3.jpg
    kart 3.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 43
  • kart 1.jpg
    kart 1.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 44
Continuously throwing chains means there's several things that could be wrong: engine mount bolts are loose, engine out of alignment with the rear sprocket, or the clutch and/or sprocket are bent or possibly out of round. Looking at the second picture you uploaded, showing the clutch from the side, it looks to be missing the bolt that holds it on the crank shaft, which the majority of kart and mini bike engines will have. If your engine doesn't use a bolt to hold the clutch in place, it might use a set screw or two, which you'll want to check and make sure they're tight. Next thing I would check is the clutch bushings in the drum, they should be tight with very little play in them and you should not be able to move the drum up/down or twist it except a tiny amount. If the clutch checks out then move to the counter shaft and check the bearings and sprocket, make sure they're tight and don't have up/down or side to side movement. Use a good straight edge such as a square or machinist ruler against the clutch drum and check the chain alignment.
In order to switch to a belt torque converter, you'll first need to pull the clutch off the engine and measure the crank shaft diameter and length. Then take more measurements between the engine and counter shaft, engine and frame, etc. Basically you'll want to make sure there's enough clearance back there to run a torque converter, and get the correct length belt. Max Torque, Comet and several other companies make bolt on torque converters for multiple applications, surely one will be a direct fit for your yard kart. Hopefully you get it figured out.

Does the chain come off on the clutch sprocket or off the axle sprocket?
In the 3rd pic it looks very lose and as if the chain hangs to the left of the axle sprocket so that makes me think it's the chain coming off at the axle and the issue seems to be the jack shaft is miss alined with the axle sprocket

Back