Tread width adjustments

Washdup08

I have looked and looked and I cannot find any posts that go into detail about tread width. I recently just got back into karting and I remember we used to keep the rear tires as tight to the frame as possible for “drive” not saying we knew anything then. I cannot remember anything about tread width. Can someone give me a lesson on how it works and what changes to what? Thank you.

keep the rr tight to the chassis .
The left rear mfg recomendation , or 1 , 1.5 inches off the chassis .
Moving it out moves it away from the cg , lowering cross . It also affects loading and unloading /timing.

keep the rr tight to the chassis .
The left rear mfg recomendation , or 1 , 1.5 inches off the chassis .
Moving it out moves it away from the cg , lowering cross . It also affects loading and unloading /timing.
Wouldn't it move the CG to the left and down?

Wouldn't it move the CG to the left and down?
Moving the Lr wheel away from frame leaves the cg where it is in relation to frame. The change is in relation to the center of the contact patches.
We should be seeing a pattern here.

It has no effect on vcg.
Widening contact patch spacing may have some of the same effects as lowering vcg.

Last edited:
What about this?
cg centers.jpg

Center of gravity from rear view is found using left percent.

If 60% left, Cg is 60% the distance from right contact patch.
If we move lr tire away from frame, we lower the left side percentage. If staggered axle, the frame may lower a negligible amount, lowering vcg by less than that negligible amount because we are only changing one end.

Actually may raise vcg if we consider less weight on lr contact patch, compressing it less.

Also,since rear percentage does not change, any weight removed from lr must be added to rr, compressing it slightly.

Last edited:
If this seems overly complicated, consider that it is only static weight being calculated.
Dynamically, things move constantly, influenced by even more factors.

[ Center of gravity from rear view is found using left percent.
If 60% left, Cg is 60% the distance from left contact patch.]

I was thinking about that last night . Though I see it differently. 60% from the Left contact patch would put it on the right side of center . Which I do not believe is correct . With 60% left weight the weight has to be concentrated left of center statically.

Thanks for the help guys. It sounds complicated so let me tell you how I understand what you all have just shared. Seems like the further out the LR is the faster the kart will unload and load back up. To me it would keep the LR unloaded longer the further out, freeing the kart up. I’m more interested in what happens dynamically I guess? Thanks again guys.

There are a couple schools of thought when it comes to dynamic wheel weights.
Here are a couple of "truths ", if you will, about dynamic wheel weights.

Dynamically, both right side tires are as light in the static state as they will ever be, on a left turn only kart.

The left rear will very rarely weigh more dynamically than it weighs in the static state.

Edit.
Further thought. Down the straightaway is as close to static weights as you can get dynamically.

That should get you started thinking.

Last edited:
I scaled our newest kart the other day for the first time and the left was 59%. Setup calls for 55-57. I moved the seat and motor and it didn’t lower much. I talked to a friend of mine and he recommended moving the rear tires and check it. Any truth?

I scaled our newest kart the other day for the first time and the left was 59%. Setup calls for 55-57. I moved the seat and motor and it didn’t lower much. I talked to a friend of mine and he recommended moving the rear tires and check it. Any truth?
If the manufacturer recommended settings have the rr close to the frame rail, there is little that can be done that will not completely change handling. At that point, you are kinda on your own

May be better off to add weight to right side of seat (neutral position) and get percentages first.
Then, if you are not happy with handling, make adjustments based on the data you have.

Baselines give you a starting point, nothing more, or less.

Last edited:
My next thought on dynamic wheel weights has to do with the way we think about things.
I think it is very difficult to tell if you are reducing traction when removing weight.

However, it is a lot easier to see adding traction by adding weight. So I like to think about where the weight is going as the lr unloads.

I can see adding traction to the rr to make your stagger effective.

Food for thought.

Back