Trick/Olympic: A history lesson please

rlslmshdy

I've owned three Trick chassis. I've been wondering about the history behind their name Trick/Olympic. Most of the time you hear anyone talk about them they just use Trick. Anybody have any info?

I can get it pretty close for ya..

Olympic was founded by Gary Freeze in Kannapolis NC
It was sold to Marc Mode after approx. 3 years..

Trick (Tubular Research Inc) was founded by Stew ??? (Forgot his last name)
He sold out to Mike Morton ( Mike Tucker Managed the place for awhile)
Then if not mistaken Mark Mode came in to run the place and build both karts in one building (Huntersville NC)
Mark Mode and Family bought it out after that...

OK thanks guys. Maybe I'm weird but I've always wondered about that. Now that we're on the subject id be interested in a little history, how every major chassis company got started. If y'all would like to keep this going. Who's next? Phantom?

I had one of the first Trick Untouchable offset chassis. I loved that thing. Won a lot of races on it and ran an indoor series with it and did very well.

Had one of these karts also in the mid 90s.Had 2 rails that ran the full length on the right side. Kart was several years old when I bought the thing for 200 Buck's. Won lots of races against much newer karts, when we had everything right, it was Untouchable.

Stew, built enduros in the 70 s .they were called Lagunas . I had one. Handled good on straight always. But not good in turns. Two rails and four wheels. He built trick karts in charlotte n.c. In early 80's. Brought 1987 trick for dirt. Hand a adjustable bar in back of chassis for tight or free.good kart .ran dirt at night and asphalt during day.won a lot of races.flexed it out.cool guy he moved back to new jersey.he loved the naughty bars.lol.

I had an 80s Laguna, was Mike Burns first kart, a 95 straight rail trick and a 98 Olympic 007 champ, sure could go for something newer.... Cool facts keep them coming!

Stew, built enduros in the 70 s .they were called Lagunas . I had one. Handled good on straight always. But not good in turns. Two rails and four wheels. He built trick karts in charlotte n.c. In early 80's. Brought 1987 trick for dirt. Hand a adjustable bar in back of chassis for tight or free.good kart .ran dirt at night and asphalt during day.won a lot of races.flexed it out.cool guy he moved back to new jersey.he loved the naughty bars.lol.

Jack Burroughs still has a Laguna sprint as well I think.

Stuart Syverson, still around, came from Boston via Margay. Was founded by 3 partners, Stuart, Jesse Samples and Billy Boulware,
Boulware later founded Predator Karts. They were originally located in Charlotte, off Remount Road, next door to Barefoot Archery.

The first American Kart to have a torsion bar, and adjustable front spindles. The torsion bar a copy of the Swiss Hutless bar and the
adjustable front using Rod Ends was knock off a Gillett UK. Be under no illusions who did these things first. It was Trick

Richard King

is this a 80s joker kart? has a margay seat, aluminum tank, torsion bar and adjustable rod ends. it has "kartland sales karts - parts" painted on the frame in the front.

Attachments

• IMG-2940.JPG
    IMG-2940.JPG
    171 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG-2946.JPG
    IMG-2946.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG-2942.JPG
    IMG-2942.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 360
Last edited:
Back