Triton Rear Axle

barluc99

Is the standard Triton axle mild steel and what would the affects be of switching to a chromoly rear axle of the same wall thickness?

97 views and nothing. Here goes
1st if you switch to a non phantom axle you got to change all your key ways , simple enough but a pain if you have issues at track. I've done it every type ,size and material. Really think the axle is mild steel ,could be wrong. switch to cromeoly again don't think you see much difference , though it may stand up to a hit better and may last longer before it needs replacing.
same thickness yield the same bending moment/flex.

Well I am running a phantom axle in a non-phantom chassis for the purpose of having the key cut for the rr brake. I wasn't sure if the phantom axle was chromoly or not.

Disadvantage Todd? I thought is being lighter would reduce total weight and rotating weight and the stiffness would keep flex down?

Young's modulus (stiffness)
From Wikipedia
Titanium alloy 120
Steel 200
Aluminum 69
A larger diameter with thicker walls might make up the difference. Real expensive.
Just a guess, but the cost/benefits ratio seems way out there.
Comments, compliments, criticisms and questions always welcome.

All good discussion but back to my original question. Is the triton axle mild steel or chromoly? I don't want to replace it with a chromoly axle if I already have one.

To me I would put back in the axle that goes in the Triton. If you have a ford pickup and you need an axle for it you do not put in a Chevy axle. I race on dirt and pavement and I switch it out when I go from dirt to pavement. The axle that you need for dirt is a thick wall 1 ¼’’ X33’’ Triton item number: 1115050i. You may not get the same performance out of it.

Back