Triton RF lead

blh0728

Just wondering what pulling the RF lead back would do to handling of the Triton. Have heard some people have their RF in the forward position and have heard that some have in the rear position and just wondering what rolling it from front to back would do to how the kart handles? And if there is certain track conditions that you would want it forward or back

Just wondering what pulling the RF lead back would do to handling of the Triton. Have heard some people have their RF in the forward position and have heard that some have in the rear position and just wondering what rolling it from front to back would do to how the kart handles? And if there is certain track conditions that you would want it forward or back

Stock position is RF forward, LF back. If you move the RF back, you are moving the entire RF assembly closer to the kart's center of gravity. This will cause the kart to transfer weight to the RF faster, and also allow the RF to bite harder. Usually, you see the RF back on shorter tracks, or tracks with tight turns. However, keep in mind that in moving the RF back, you are losing some roll speed by shortening the chassis' wheelbase.

I hope this information helps. Have a blessed day!

I'd say James gave a pretty good answer and description. Why pick his post apart?He didn't say it must be forward.

I was just asking to see what differences would be for how the chassis handles. I have always run it forward but have heard of most running it back. Thanks for your input James

Personally, I like the lead forward as well. I also thought it would scrub off speed and can't understand why everyone seems to have it in the back position, or what makes it better to where all the big teams want to run it back.

Personally, I like the lead forward as well. I also thought it would scrub off speed and can't understand why everyone seems to have it in the back position, or what makes it better to where all the big teams want to run it back.

How do you know that ALL the big teams run it back... do you work with all of them... are is that what you heard...

I know not ALL run it back... I see 95% of the karts that I race against have it back, most winners I see have it back, That's one thing I can also tell just by looking at the RF tire in correlation to the body. If it's forward most of the time it will be more forward, sitting inside the front of the nose. If it's back, it will be more centered with the opening in the body. But I have also talked to racers who have won big races, most have it in the back position.

Running in the rear position helps load the rf fast inturn you can get the rr to load quicker. You cant load the rr if the b rf wont load its all about weight transfer.and how you perfer it to drive. To each their own.

Front or back doesn't really scrub different amounts of speed. Back makes more turning power, front makes less. This season some of the more popular money tracks are smaller or have tighter turns which require a kart which will turn really well.

Todd
www.dynamicsofspeed.com

Well said Todd, if thr RF is in the forward position or rear position, the go kart does not know it going down the straights. It does not scrub speed unless your loose getting in but that is in any case. Always remember in order to get down the straight, one must first get through the corner. So, if moving the RF back helps your handling through the corner you are better off. In saying that, if moving the RF forward helps you handling wise through the corner then you are better off with it in the forward position. Its all driver preference so if I were you I would just try it and see if you like it in the opposite position. This is just my two cents so please nobody needs to be offended by what I said.

On our junior driver he could not keep the rear under him in the turns. Moved rf back and he flat foots it in the turns now. I think a more experienced driver could be faster with it forward, but it's more sensitive to steering input in the front.

Usually putting more weight on/near the LR (more left/cross for example) will cure the rear kicking out while still allowing the kart to rotate and build corner speed. Also depends on the rest of your setup. Even just adding a lil more air psi in LR can build forward drive and settle the rear down too, especially if track starts coming around between races.

Also fixed that with more bite in tires.

JMO and what I've currently found to work. I personally think the rear kicking out is a good thing to work with, not far from nailing the tires/setup...especially when comparing to a push going in.

On our junior driver he could not keep the rear under him in the turns. Moved rf back and he flat foots it in the turns now. I think a more experienced driver could be faster with it forward, but it's more sensitive to steering input in the front.

Sounds to me that was a push/loose issue which by moving the RF caster block rearward fixed the push issue. This is pretty common with the Jr drivers as they dont transfer weight as easily.
As far as faster in the forward position by an experienced driver, i know several of the best and most experienced, and theirs are rearward.

Back