Triton to Scythe?

Currently on a Triton but considering a new kart--how would the transition be from a Triton to a Scythe be? Saturday night racing with a 6'6" 240# driver--light tube or heavy tube chassis---mostly race one 1/8 mile local track with decent bite-competition level is real good-any and all opinions welcome. Thanks

Scythe is a stiff chassis (better for heavier drivers). I found it to not be as consistent as other go karts out there. Many of the top phantom guys are on a recon. The scythe is no way a bad chassis but it has it's pros and cons just like every other go kart out there, but I wouldn't recommend it. Trition is a really good chassis if your fast on it stay with it.

My son and I had the "What would we get if we got a new kart ?" talk recently---we have been on Phantoms exclusively since our '98 Banshee. We love or triton but eventually we will need to upgrade. I am open to all opinions. Thanks, John

The Scythe .095 is a lot closer to a Recon than most think in terms of overall performance from what we've seen. Compared to a Triton the Scythe .095 has a completely different stance to it on the track, and transfers weight differently which produces a different feel both on the steering wheel and under the driver.

My opinion is that the Scythe .095 is a touch freer overall than a Recon is, and has different feel to the front end due to the 1.25 front hoop. The Scythe .095 feels more like a Triton on the steering wheel, but transfers weight more like a Recon is my simple explanation comparing the 3.

The Scythe .083 is a completely different kart due to the way the chassis flexes and transfers weight.

Either a Scythe .095 or a Recon would be an upgrade compared to a Triton especially clone racing.

Cole

Last edited:
If you would be so kind as to share a little info via PM regarding how your setup/tires differ from the Triton to the Sythe it would be gerat. Thanks, John

Just chiming in here. I would stay with the Triton IMO.

Having to switch one day is inevitable but keep that Triton if you can help it. I've stripped mine down, sent out for powdercoating and rebuilt with all new parts, nuts, bolts, heims, spindles, axle and bearings twice because I'd rather have the Triton. There are big money winners and local trackers all doing really well on the Triton still because they prefer it.

It's not like back in the day where there was a chassis race over technologies and access to new adjustments. Most parts on the Scythe, Recon and Deuce are shared with the Triton as well. The R&D that went into the Triton is much alike that of todays chassis, as apposed to comparing something from early 2000s to 2010s as an example.

If they made a 2022 Triton and a 2022 Scythe, I'd be willing to bet the Tritons would outsell.

I'd also be willing to be that if you asked most people currently running Tritons "why?", their answers would be very similar...

Lastly, for what it's worth, I've heard mostly good, but differing opinions on the Recon and Scythe. I cannot ever recall hearing anyone say that they did not like the Triton. I'm sure those people exist but its worth mentioning. Keep in mind anytime a bar is "set", anything following suit immediately has harder competition.

I like how the Scythe feels, I like how the Recon is more forgiving, I love absolutely everything about the Triton. The quick pin system instead of bolt in pills is probably the only thing I really wished it had. No biggy.

Cheers!

Last edited:
It's funny how times have changed and people are calling the Recon forgiving. I remember people hating how narrow It's window was on tires.

Either way, this is my .2. We run UAS so 400+lbs karts. We went from the .035 Triton to the Scythe in 21. The Driver has been pretty exclusively on Phantom for his personal karts and loved the Triton. He says the Scythe is a faster Triton. More corner speed, much better feel in the corner and over all we've been generally as fast or faster this year on the Scythe as we had been on the Tritons from 16-21.

Tire wise I haven't changed much and we run every brand that is fast for the conditions since we are open tire no matter where we go. I haven't really changed anything tire wise from the Triton to the Scythe and it's been great. If it were me and I personally was going to get a new Chassis. I'd lean very Heavily toward a Scythe because I know we've had very good speed with it.

You know the Triton well and as BMR said, well maintained they're still great karts. We still have two 13 Triton .035 and a Standard. But, our main UAS kart is the Scythe now.

It's funny how times have changed and people are calling the Recon forgiving. I remember people hating how narrow It's window was on tires.

Either way, this is my .2. We run UAS so 400+lbs karts. We went from the .035 Triton to the Scythe in 21. The Driver has been pretty exclusively on Phantom for his personal karts and loved the Triton. He says the Scythe is a faster Triton. More corner speed, much better feel in the corner and over all we've been generally as fast or faster this year on the Scythe as we had been on the Tritons from 16-21.

Tire wise I haven't changed much and we run every brand that is fast for the conditions since we are open tire no matter where we go. I haven't really changed anything tire wise from the Triton to the Scythe and it's been great. If it were me and I personally was going to get a new Chassis. I'd lean very Heavily toward a Scythe because I know we've had very good speed with it.

You know the Triton well and as BMR said, well maintained they're still great karts. We still have two 13 Triton .035 and a Standard. But, our main UAS kart is the Scythe now.
If you like the scythe so much, I have a 21 scythe .095 tube forsale...bareframe , roller or raceready in NC

Back