Truck/kart trailer accidents.

mike97760

Site Supporter
Coming home from the races tonight I hit 3 black cows standing sideways in the middle of a 65 m.p.h. highway. Totalled my truck, messed up the exterior of my trailer, and was a mess. Have not looked inside of the trailer but it cant be pretty. 2 karts 4 engines, lots of tools, preps, fuel, !2 sets of tires and wheels, generator, self loading stands, blah blah blah. Police found the cows owners, they came to the scene, said their farm insurance will cover everything. Paperwork started in motion. Does anybody know what to expect next from their insurance company related to the trailer damage and its contents?

Yes problems .
Better start digging for recipts .
Got hit from behind on my triumph motorcycle . they depreciated the tire due too wear .

Last edited:
Coming home from the races tonight I hit 3 black cows standing sideways in the middle of a 65 m.p.h. highway. Totalled my truck, messed up the exterior of my trailer, and was a mess. Have not looked inside of the trailer but it cant be pretty. 2 karts 4 engines, lots of tools, preps, fuel, !2 sets of tires and wheels, generator, self loading stands, blah blah blah. Police found the cows owners, they came to the scene, said their farm insurance will cover everything. Paperwork started in motion. Does anybody know what to expect next from their insurance company related to the trailer damage and its contents?
That really sucks .

It sucks bad! About two years ago my wife and I were driving along the local interstate and skidded to a halt because 2 cows had made there way onto the highway. Thankfully there was nobody behind us and we put the flashers on, called the police, and tried to get them off of the road. I couldn’t imagine the amount of damage hitting cows would cause. I wish you the best of luck with the insurance company.

i work for an insurance company. While they mostly get bad raps not all are terrible, we are all humans and alot of time people want something for nothing, its insurance not a maintenance policy. I would warn you that I've heard some companies deny coverage in your situation for whatever reason(someone cut the fence so the owners weren't negligent)(Someone ran a truck through the fence so the owners weren't negligent)

Do you have a policy on the trailer? Do you have comp on the truck? Its sometimes easier to deal with your own company. Anything inside the trailer will not be covered by a trailer policy from my understanding. Only way to get the interior items covered would be through the other owners liability.

If you don't have a trailer policy and you have comp on the truck most companies have a non-owned trailer clause. So if the trailer doesnt have a title and you end up having to go back to your policy i would some how make sure a buddy owns it so you at least get something out of it, the clause usually has a max around $1500.

Take photos before cleaning up the trailer, charge them for clean up time, $50-75 an hour is reasonable. They all want to be able to justify any payments incase the boss comes behind them.

Back