Trucks, diesel or gas

jaymancds

Alright hot topic time. I am in the market for a new to me truck. Looking at Chevy and GMC trucks around the 05-13 range, 3/4 ton, 4x4, and relatively low miles.

Here is the question, would you look for a gas truck with 100-140K miles, or diesel around the 175-200K mile mark? And just because I know diesel guys, the truck will remain 100% stock, no tunes nothing like that. Also not looking to get a DEF truck. I have been looking a while and these trucks when nice, move very quickly, so it has been hard to find the time to catch one to sit in.

So, diesel or gas?

You will need to balance whether you will tow with this, and how much. Then fuel mileage vs extra maintenance.

My 01 powerstroke van went down on me. My 02 chevy 6 liter is ok to tow with, but mileage towing is about 2/3 what the stroker did. Empty, the diesel made slightly better mileage.

Having a hard time making myself put head gaskets in it, mostly because it is a van.

Both have over 250,000 miles.

I have a 2000 f250 with the V10, gas mileage is what you think it would be. It has 250,000 on it and still going strong. I did have to put exhaust manifold bolts in it 5 years ago. I'm gonna be a sad puppy if it ever goes down

A used diesel at 200 k would be outa the question for me .
Knowing they go longer , still i would rather be the one driving it too the 200 k mark .
If its a primary vehicle and little towing i would lean gas .
It took me a good 8 months to find the right deal on a 6.7 power stroke to replace the old 7.3 that had 312 on it but i am quite happy with the truck .
IE : Wanted a Duramx Nothing came up in the price point I wanted to pay .
New was almost cheaper .

If you are going to pull heavy loads, 7.3 ford diesel is the way to go. unfortunately they quit making them in 2002 so a low mileage one is rare.
If not just pick the one you like the best.

Like I said, I'm a Chevy guy by experience, and the constantly new or different engine platforms in the fords concern me. If dodge would pull its head out of the sand and put an Allison behind the Cummins, I'd buy it. So Chevy is where I stand. You can't argue the reliability of the 6.0 LS platform. Nothing can compare to it. The Duramax problems that everyone brings up only seem to come to the surface for guys that are doing extra things to them. My only consideration would be possible in the future deleting the EGR/Regeneration system from the truck (LMM). I'm going to look at the Dmax today, I suppose we will find out how that goes later.

I have a 2007 Duramax and am quite happy with it; it was purchased for heavy towing (4000 to 11,500 lbs, once in awhile a bit more), and it has been great for that. I was also lucky; the engine is an early manufacture 2007 (Sept. 2006), and only has an DPF, EGR and a CatCon, so I don't have to add any extra fluids or anything like that. For the purpose it was purchased, the 3/4 ton full crew cab Duramax has been fine. To give an example of the difference in towing performance, compared to a gas half ton pickup, I sometimes made a trip that was about 525 miles each way while towing a trailer. Made the trip towing the (fully enclosed) trailer down to TN empty behind the gas half ton pickup I had at the time ("empty" trailer weight about 2250 lbs with the stuff I always left in it) and the gas mileage was whopping 8.7 mpg. Made the same trip with the trailer loaded to 6950 lbs (yes, we weighed it at a weigh station) behind the diesel and got 11.4 mpg. While the 360 HP is nice, what really makes it sweet is the 650 ft/lbs of torque. Regardless of differences in the HP and torque ratings among the Big 3, the results are the same - lots of power and huge torque, and that torque is what you need for towing. My towing schedule changed over the years (the trip to TN was not a regular thing when towing a trailer, it occurred only the two times mentioned), so now I still tow heavy, but not as often, so I have this 2007 diesel 3/4 ton pickup with just over 86,000 miles on it - dealers keep offering me astonishing trade in prices on it, but at my age, it will last me the rest of my driving life and still be low mileage, so we'll just hang in there. Bottom line, if you regularly tow heavy (6000+ to 15,000 lbs gross trailer weight), diesels are worth a look; if you generally tow in the 3000 lb to 6000 lb range, and especially do not tow that on a weekly basis, gas is fine, though fuel consumption will be higher. If I didn't have what I have now, my 2nd choice would be an old 7.3 liter Ford, if the price was right, and put a rebuilt engine in it. Just some random thoughts, based on towing the same trailer with both a half ton gas engine (350 cubic inches) and the Duramax.

It depends on how redneck you are. For me the diesel smell is a deal breaker
no big compressor its too redneck, now if you own a diesel youre a redneck too?
good thing you live in cali with the rest of the pussies, surprised you even get your hands dirty

All I know is that yesterday I drove a '21 Ford F350 with gas motor--I had a 24' livestock trailer with only a couple of cows and calves in it---in tow mode this truck was gutless--10 spd auto downshifted on every hill and turned the motor over 5k----maybe I did something wrong but I was very happy to get back in my '99 7.3 Powerstroke. As a side note, it is a shame you apparently can't buy a standard tranny any more.

I’m happy with my ‘05 Chevy 1500HD (basically 2500) with 171k. Low maintenance costs. Dead nuts reliable. It’s a 4-door, 4WD with gas 6.0 and 4L80E. Good solid truck and wouldn’t cost you a fortune. Pulls my 28’ trailer. It’s a compromise on pulling power and fuel mileage, but being the daily driver and only pulling on the weekends - I couldn’t justify the additional initial costs and far greater ongoing expense of a diesel. You’d have to make a living with the truck to justify diesel in my opinion.

Well I appreciate the input guys. Here's what I ended up with. 2012 crew cab, 4wd, Chevy 2500hd, gas with the L96 6.0L. 80,000 miles, 820 of which came from the drive home.

Attachments

• 20210328_193254.jpg
    20210328_193254.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 20210328_193244.jpg
    20210328_193244.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0841.jpg
    IMG_0841.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Alright hot topic time. I am in the market for a new to me truck. Looking at Chevy and GMC trucks around the 05-13 range, 3/4 ton, 4x4, and relatively low miles.

Here is the question, would you look for a gas truck with 100-140K miles, or diesel around the 175-200K mile mark? And just because I know diesel guys, the truck will remain 100% stock, no tunes nothing like that. Also not looking to get a DEF truck. I have been looking a while and these trucks when nice, move very quickly, so it has been hard to find the time to catch one to sit in.

So, diesel or gas?
looking at the wrong truck (just me ) but I would go ford or ram if you want power and be able to pull anything you hook to it.

looking at the wrong truck (just me ) but I would go ford or ram if you want power and be able to pull anything you hook to it.
Dodge hasn't ever put a real transmission in their trucks. I will not buy a truck without a truck transmission in it. I also have no faith in dodge "hemi" gas engines developed after 1972. The cummins is solid, but has nothing behind it to let it work.

Ford hasn't had a good engine since the 7.3. How many different engines since 2000? Its easily 5, and I haven't heard anything good about any of them. The V10 might be solid, but it is stupid heavy, and horrible on fuel mileage.

Chevy has had basically the same 6.0LS since 2001, the duramax is the same way. Small changes to keep up with the more modern tech and emissions. The Allison speaks for itself, and the 4L80, and now 6L80, are some of the best factory transmissions ever built. Is the duramax down a little on torque? Maybe by 50ft-lbs, but billions of miles on them says they are reliable, and they have the Allison to back it up. The 6.0LS is without a doubt one of the best engines ever made.

Show me a truck with a more complete, battle tested, mileage proven engine/trans package, and I'll take a look at it.

Side note, I've had chevys my whole life. I know they arent perfect, but I am very familiar with what to look for when they have issues. They all have their problems, I just choose my vehicles made by GM.

I don't see many issues with dodge and there transmissions anymore. Once they ditched the re series and went to the rfe it's been pretty much smooth sailing. Obviously they need to be maintained or they will fail prematurely. The oldest first series gen 3 hemis aren't the best but definitely will last if maintained and we're talking 03-07/8. The 6.4 in the 2500 is a beast of an engine. Diesel whole different world and the duramax is no shining star compared to the Cummins. All of them have their share of issues. My biggest complaints with the duramax is you have to basically take the front clip off the truck to do major engine work. Ford you have to take the cab off most of them.

Regardless though you got a truck that your happy with and that's all that matters.

Dodge hasn't ever put a real transmission in their trucks. I will not buy a truck without a truck transmission in it. I also have no faith in dodge "hemi" gas engines developed after 1972. The cummins is solid, but has nothing behind it to let it work.

Ford hasn't had a good engine since the 7.3. How many different engines since 2000? Its easily 5, and I haven't heard anything good about any of them. The V10 might be solid, but it is stupid heavy, and horrible on fuel mileage.

Chevy has had basically the same 6.0LS since 2001, the duramax is the same way. Small changes to keep up with the more modern tech and emissions. The Allison speaks for itself, and the 4L80, and now 6L80, are some of the best factory transmissions ever built. Is the duramax down a little on torque? Maybe by 50ft-lbs, but billions of miles on them says they are reliable, and they have the Allison to back it up. The 6.0LS is without a doubt one of the best engines ever made.

Show me a truck with a more complete, battle tested, mileage proven engine/trans package, and I'll take a look at it.

Side note, I've had chevys my whole life. I know they arent perfect, but I am very familiar with what to look for when they have issues. They all have their problems, I just choose my vehicles made by GM.
man where you been, must have been living in a cave the last few years, i'll put a powerstroke or a cummings ram against the chevy any day.

Back