trying to decide

Dave Max

I have been looking and cannot find a site that tells the pecking order of kart classes. Is animal faster than clone? Is flathead faster than mod clone. Don't know horsepowers so Im not sure where they fall in order. Forgive me if this is s dumb question.

1. Animal is fastest and the rules stay the same and will last for years. Very little maintenance.
2. Clones are next in speed and will not last as long as the animal and requires more maintenance, rules change often requiring new parts.
3. Lo206 is close in speed to the clone. Will last forever with very little maintence. There are no rule changes in this class, Cheapest engine to operate out there.
4. Flathead is losing popularity and requires more rebuilds than any other engine. Some say it is the slowest unless built into a limited class.

Clones are ran by more people (in some areas) because that is where the payout are. Builders and part suppliers and importers make more money off the clone than all the others combined. So they put the money into the money races. It is one of those (follow the money trails).
I still run the animal and am very happy with it. Not as much money in the races, but I really like not having to keep spending a fortune chasing the latest greatest part of the week clone club. Owned 3 clones, been there done that, did not like it. Went back to the original animal that is now 7 years old and love it. not into Lo206 because I like to go faster than they go. Probably a great engine for beginners and kids . That is one drawback of clones, they are not fast like the animal.

any plated clone will out run same plate animal or flathead . clones to be even in plated claees should run 1 plate lower than class plate ,( , clone green = animal purple , clone purple = animal blue , clone blue = animal gold

i got almost 2 full seasons with a properly built flathead and came in 3rd place in points first season . and switched engine in 2nd season . i stayed up with oil changes and kept air filters clean !

any plated clone will out run same plate animal or flathead . clones to be even in plated claees should run 1 plate lower than class plate ,( , clone green = animal purple , clone purple = animal blue , clone blue = animal gold

Good imfo, and with AKRA pro rule on the clone for Sr classes at some tracks the Clone will also out run the animal as well.

Thank you everyone. I'm 44 and looking for some extra fun. Have an 11 year son and 5 year old daughter that I hope will like it also

Thank you everyone. I'm 44 and looking for some extra fun. Have an 11 year son and 5 year old daughter that I hope will like it also

Check out what classes the guy's are supporting in your area and go from there, it's NO fun racing 2 or 3 karts, If your area has good counts with the clones that's what I'd get.

Good Luck !!

Check out what classes the guy's are supporting in your area and go from there, it's NO fun racing 2 or 3 karts, If your area has good counts with the clones that's what I'd get.

Good Luck !!

"BEST" advise right here! (Wow....sounds like a bunch of 'bias' reporting on this one!) IMO :)

Been kart racing since 1980 and have never seen anything about that, so I guess you'll just have to take your stopwatch and note pad and time them all at the track of your choice.

Blue plate clone is .550 Blue plate animal is .500
All clone plates have larger holes than the same color for animals. Remember apples to apples.

Back