Trying to Find Good Used LO206 Karting Kit for Birthday

kurtwz

Hey guys, I'm new here and a total newbie on karting. My little boy is turning 12 in about a week and I plan on getting him a kart so he can start racing. I've identified the LO206 class as a good one to start him on since it's one that he can "grow up" with. My question is on where to get the best deal/best kit for getting started. I kind of feel lost and I worry that I'll buy the wrong thing or even that I risk getting taken advantage of from someone who knows I'm a novice.

Is there something I should be looking for to make sure I'm getting a good, usable chassis and motor? I'll be racing at the Kansas City Karting Association track in Liberty, MO. Is there a brand that is better for that track either because it handles better in some way or there's more racer support?

Any help would be appreciated.

Kurt

Welcome .
Thats a road race kart . Definitely not what you want for dirt oval .
You need an LTO Left turn only .
Yes outside condition of the body has some tell , though there can be some contact which leads to rub marks .
Definitely check back with whatever you may like .
I would say you want 2015 or newer no older then 2010 .
Are you sure they have a 206 class ? not all track do .
There are some good honest people to buy used from . With the occasional bad apple .
Stick with the big names . Phantom U-ltra max , Trick , charger
Are a few there are others as well

In that situation disregard everything i said .
On the face yea thats not a bad price .
Someone from the Sprint /road race side will know better then I .
Something tells me adult karts are not the best for jouniors . Due to axle stiffness and maybe chassis stiffness .
Again wait on someone with experience .

Last edited:
KC Karting appears to be a sprint club, so I'd guess the Praga would be fine. Seems to come with enough extras, including a good roll around stand. It claims they have a 21T driver, which may indicate they road raced it too. The kart is only a couple seasons old, so the $2500 appears to be fair. A $150ish engine freshening and you're ready to go. Seems OK to me.
That said, the only down side MIGHT be, if your son is on the small side, the kart might not be great since it's a full size kart. But again, in a year or two, he will be the perfect size for it. And his first year or two is all about seat time.
If it turns out something else would be better, you can get most of your money back on this kart pretty easily. It's not a bank breaker anyway.
Talk to some of the dads at KC Karting Assoc. before you do anything, and get their input.
Just my $0.02
Have fun either way,
Clark Gaynor Sr.

The kart looks good. I have a Praga Dark with an LO206 and like it as much as my Tonykart. Easy to tune, drive and get parts for. Overall you got a very good deal. The kart and engine are worth the price, everything else in the package is a bonus.

Generally buying a kart is just the tip of the financial iceberg, clutches, tires, tools, stand, scales, trailer, etc, etc, etc will put a dent in ur budget very quickly. No worries if your boy is small, pedal risers and a small seat moved forward will get you thru the night. LO206 is the perfect way to begin. The engine is cheap as chips to maintain. Change oil, lap the valves, drain the fuel bowl and change the gasket every year and you're good. I ran the same one for 9 years before it finally thru a rod. With this engine you can focus on his driving, gearing, tires and chassis. If he is slow, it's not the engine!

Otherwise if you manage your expectations and plan to have fun you will go a long way. Seat time, plenty of practice and network ur way with other teams in the pits. You will find other crews to be very friendly and helpful. First goal will be to finish a race. Second goal is not to get lapped twice. Third goal not to get lapped. Fourth goal is to finish top 10. You get the idea.

The 206 class is easy on tires. The ones pictured will easily last a season, maybe two. Otherwise have fun with your boy, check this website for advice and answers and welcome to kart racing.

Hey guys, I'm new here and a total newbie on karting. My little boy is turning 12 in about a week and I plan on getting him a kart so he can start racing. I've identified the LO206 class as a good one to start him on since it's one that he can "grow up" with. My question is on where to get the best deal/best kit for getting started. I kind of feel lost and I worry that I'll buy the wrong thing or even that I risk getting taken advantage of from someone who knows I'm a novice.

Is there something I should be looking for to make sure I'm getting a good, usable chassis and motor? I'll be racing at the Kansas City Karting Association track in Liberty, MO. Is there a brand that is better for that track either because it handles better in some way or there's more racer support?

Any help would be appreciated.

Kurt
Hey kurtwz! Welcome to the forum!
So at KCKA at his age you'll be looking at 206 Junior. The class runs full size chassis with smaller rear tires and a different slide in the 206. It's perfect for you because once you step up to 206 senior it's just a matter of getting the bigger tires and a black slide for the 206 (which is super cheap and easy to update)
As far as chassis go.....I showed up this year with a Birel AM-29 which hadn't been ran on that track before...and won the points championship this year in 206 senior. In my complete honesty it's not about the kart as much as it is the driver. I wouldn't go out and buy brand new equipment all around ESPECIALLY with it being your first year and your sons first time racing. IF he doesn't like it you'll end up losing money selling out. Buy used but buy good.
Being "close" to Indianapolis don't fret away from chassis out there. That's where I got mine and there are a TON out there for sale. If you're wanting local send me a PM and I'll have some recommendations of people to get a hold of. I don't think chassis brand will make much of a difference....there's probably 6-8 different brands that run in my class alone and they all could be great, it's just the driver that's the problem in the equation to it all lol.
The ad you're looking at honestly isn't a bad setup at all. Looks like you'll have plenty of practice tires (and you'll definitely want to practice!!) I wouldn't hesitate to try and haggle a little if you'd want. Praga's are good chassis. If you look at Parolins though BEWARE as a certain (more recent) year of chassis have weak spots up front and are commonly broken.
Either way, the best advice I have is whatever you find...don't let the frustrations get to you. KCKA is by far the BEST group of people I've dealt with and everyone will drop what they're doing to help you. So even if you bought something that wasn't up to par, just ask around and people will help you the best they can to get things going. Also, laps laps laps laps laps and then some more laps.....practice practice practice. Seat time is the most important part to this so buying something used will be perfect because you'll be putting a lot of laps on that thing.
Below is my channel...watch the KCKA videos to get a better idea of how the track works.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrY6EllCezUSLzdSb63au9A

The key with any used kart is how it was maintained.
Look closely at the welds, bearing wear, play in the steering, etc.
You can't tell these things from photos in an ad.
The engines are pretty much bullet-proof, BUT pay close attention to the oil that was used in it previously.
If purchase a used kart that is race-ready currently -- take it to the track and get a gazillion laps in it on old tires and a tired engine before spending the money on new stuff just yet. You'd be amazed at how much lap time your driver can pick up just with gaining more track time / experience. Then get a fast kid, veteran driver out there on the track with you on practice day for your driver to follow around the track and learn the lines, breaking points, etc. That's what will speed up your learning curve more than anything when you first start out. THEN look at getting the engine freshened and throw some new rubber on it.

We've got an older Birel here in the shop currently, but no used L206 engine packages at all.
Hopefully we will get some new engines in real soon though.
Give us a call if there is ANYTHING we can help you with.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back