tubing notcher

jake17j

I currently have a harbor freight notcher it works alright . doesn't have a long enough stroke for some of the stuff I do and I do a lot of 3/4 and can't find a hole saw for 3/4 with a 5/8 arbor. the bushing on the shaft already needs replaced. was looking at some other models but they don't look much different then what I have I did notice that speedways has a 1/2 in arbor and a bushing for 5/8. Anybody used theirs or any of the others on ebay like the eastwood? I have a jd 2 bender and like theirs but can't justify 200 bucks for a notcher for the 10 or so I do on my cages

I have a Joint Jigger that I've had for many years. I have replaced the bushing in it a couple times, but does everything I want to do with it. I've even built 3 sprint car chassis with it.

I use a roughing endmill in my tabletop milling machine. Built an adjustable V-block to kick the tube at the right angle. Have notched all my tubes this way since the early 90's for every kart and nerfbar I have built. Roughing endmills last about a year. The V-block setup is off to the side and my vise is off to the other so I can use the mill for either type work.

thanks for the replies Joel we better sell a bunch of outlaws before I can make that upgrade lol.i'm watching 2 on ebay so hopefully I'll win one they are a affordable bender and a jd2 both have needle bearings instead of the bushing that mine does and have the 1/2 in arbor

think I may have solved my problems. found a new block tonight with needle bearings and figured out mine does have the an adapter on it so I can use the smaller saws. it came with it on so didn't even realize it was an adapter

I use a bimetal hole saw,mounted in my lathes 3 jaw chuck. Then I made a piece to hold the tubbing out of angle iron, and made it so I could mount it on the tool post. Then just clamp the tube into the V off the angle iron. Set the angle that you want with the tool post. Turn on the lathe and use the carriage to feed the tube into the hole saw.

Back