Tuning an L0206

agazoom

Hi all,

So my son has been karting in the Briggs Senior for a couple of years, but I'd consider us beginners when it comes to engine-related information.

Every once in a while, we pay a guy and hand our Briggs L0206 engine to be tuned. Generally, once we get it back it runs pretty well for a few races.

My question is what exactly do these engine experts do other than setting float heights. What should I be doing over the course of the year to maintain performance on the engine?

Thanks

The biggest thing on these engines (in my opinion) is valve seal. Having the right machining equipment and knowledge is a big benefit.
Having the correct tune on the carb is vital as well. Setting the correct float height/drop, needle clip setting, etc are all important at getting the right A/F lambda for full throttle racing. This is usually done with an O2 sensor on the dyno.
Watch the Briggs video on tuning the air bleed - you'll want to do that at the track each race day or as needed by changing weather and air density.
Other things individual builders/tuners may do is ultra-sonic cleaning of the carb, setting the ignition timing, valve lash, and more.

All of the things mentioned above help, but it still comes down to seat time above all. Chassis tuning, tires, and driver become so much more critical than a tenth of a tenth on the dyno with a spec engine. :)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back