Twin Animals

Very Cool !!
We had a twin engine World Formula kart from Briggs at Road America. Both engines turned the same direction though.
It was very fast but also very heavy.
I have pictures of it somewhere.
I'm curious why you reversed the rotation of the left side engine?

Very Cool !!
We had a twin engine World Formula kart from Briggs at Road America. Both engines turned the same direction though.
It was very fast but also very heavy.
I have pictures of it somewhere.
To get rid of counter shaft, drag and extra rotational weight so kart is narrow. Plus it's a challenge.

Margay has a twin kart they show once in a while. Was supposed to go into production a few years ago. I actually wanted to order one.

When we first saw this kart with the Flatheads on it at the Vintage Karting Assoc. - Quincy race, the first thing we thought of was brilliant to keep the kart width down to something more manageable. Vintage Karting has a rule to be under 48-inches wide. We also in vintage run alot of tight sprint courses and the wider karts are not always an advantage to get around the tracks.

I'm not knocking it at all but the Briggs kart doesn't use any counter shafts and with sticky tires the kart is going to wider than the engine placement would have an affect on.
Now if you are a pretty big guy i would want to have more room for the seat.
I agree with it being a challenge to reverse rotate an engine.
Did you buy a cam or make your own?

Yea I've never put a tape measure to the C-Open B-Bomb sidewinders or the dual Yamaha's to see what they measure out to. And I don't think in the duals anyone really cares one way or the other. There are people that gripe about our dual rear engines tire and axle widths in vintage, but then those people complain about everything and couldn't drive a dual if their life depended upon it.

I'm not knocking it at all but the Briggs kart doesn't use any counter shafts and with sticky tires the kart is going to wider than the engine placement would have an affect on.
Did you buy a cam or make your own?
Did you buy a cam or make your own Here is rear shot of Margay's kart. You can see indeed does have countershaft on left engine.
f543d206334af8f3148322b5f2a7ba7c9bdd3a8f.jpg
f543d206334af8f3148322b5f2a7ba7c9bdd3a8f.jpg
Hrrr

If your talking about the one on Margay's X2, you,ll have to call them. Ours in the video was a hand made tank off one of our old drag cars. Aluminum tubing, tig end caps, drill and tap holes for fittings. K&N filters.

go to southwestkarters group on facebook . we are now building more karts to start roadracing duel world formulas (modified pipe clutch and ignition. youtube video start at minute 16 for dual 2 3/4 mile track first time out 93mph expect more later. enjoy Ron Cubel

Attachments

• IMG_8343.jpg
    IMG_8343.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Back