Twin Engine Flathead Kart

This is something we saw recently at the VKA race in Quincy, IL. It was old Buller kart with twin Flatheads. The left engine is running in reverse. They put him in to race with the vintage C-Open Sidewinders and held his own against the twin B-Bombs. Then I got to race with him in the Open class at the Rock Island Grand Prix with my twin engine rear kart.

I've some ideas on that. I love to see it torn apart. I think Bill did mention in the video about the cam. My guess is that next year they'll have something like a blockzilla put together.

I've talked to Clements about doing this in the past... Cam was the biggest change, and flywheel with no key lapped and timed correctly. These Hamiltons beat me to it.

I've talked to Clements about doing this in the past... Cam was the biggest change, and flywheel with no key lapped and timed correctly. These Hamiltons beat me to it.
It does run pretty dang good. I think overheating was a serious problem for them at RIGP with those back to back 900 ft straights as I was close enough to smell the left engine. At TNT Kartways he hung with the back runners with B-Bomb C-Opens, which was kind of surprising with the straight away speed they have. I know from talking with them they'll be back with something that is more of an open type motor next season.

Well next year is coming early. Local track is going to get preview in a week if all stays to plan. Getting tired of following high powered 2 cycles around. Going to bring a equalizer. He he. I can hear them scream now. As far as reversing a flathead, its a real pain, everything shows up at the wrong time inside. A lot of limitations on what you can do and a lot of grinding , put it back together and grind some more. Rock Island race we had a Tillotson acting up and I balked at tearing it down. It was a mistake. Won't happen again. The left hand reverse engine has never been apart since assembly. I was holding my breath at Rock Island. It has had some hard runs on it. We had more trouble with the conventional flathead than it. Scorched a piston at the park in Quincy. All night thrash to put another one together. Rock Island conventional one was the one that died on the start of feature. That put us most of a lap down. Those West Bends you can't give them any room, their too fast.
Bill Hamilton
Hamilton Brothers
aka: MoStatechamp

Well next year is coming early. Local track is going to get preview in a week if all stays to plan. Getting tired of following high powered 2 cycles around. Going to bring a equalizer. He he. I can hear them scream now. As far as reversing a flathead, its a real pain, everything shows up at the wrong time inside. A lot of limitations on what you can do and a lot of grinding , put it back together and grind some more. Rock Island race we had a Tillotson acting up and I balked at tearing it down. It was a mistake. Won't happen again. The left hand reverse engine has never been apart since assembly. I was holding my breath at Rock Island. It has had some hard runs on it. We had more trouble with the conventional flathead than it. Scorched a piston at the park in Quincy. All night thrash to put another one together. Rock Island conventional one was the one that died on the start of feature. That put us most of a lap down. Those West Bends you can't give them any room, their too fast.
Bill Hamilton
Hamilton Brothers
aka: MoStatechamp
Steve and I look forward to seeing what you have on track next. Our Benders may get a little faster, but quite honestly the limitations are the karts not being able to handle like those sidewinders. Quite honestly, we were surprised that we did not get our butts handed to us by someone with Mac 101, Komets, or BM130s. We have something hopefully coming soon to address a big problem and it looks like its going to work, and you are likely aware of the problem we are having. Also, Some people should have gotten some really nice photographs of my kart, Slideways through Turn 5 especially. I did see a lot of people plugging their ears from all of the great sound coming from our karts between those buildings. ;)

We did rattle a few windows. What I have coming in the next two weeks is not vintage, but an answer to a local problem. Same setupHe he. Vintage project is still for over the winter. Didn't get much time to talk to you guys I was helping with tech, they let me out to fire Nathan's kart , then back to work. We are not going to be at Delmar. Twins are apart getting a much needed freshen up. Thank you guys for promoting the Vintage class and karting in general. I'll send you a notice when our next beast hits the track, with pictures.

We did rattle a few windows. What I have coming in the next two weeks is not vintage, but an answer to a local problem. Same setupHe he. Vintage project is still for over the winter. Didn't get much time to talk to you guys I was helping with tech, they let me out to fire Nathan's kart , then back to work. We are not going to be at Delmar. Twins are apart getting a much needed freshen up. Thank you guys for promoting the Vintage class and karting in general. I'll send you a notice when our next beast hits the track, with pictures.
We'll definitely be at Delmar, then onto to Whiteland. I think your twin would have likely run with the twin Yamaha karts, as I know of at least 3 that are planning to run them there, all good guys to race with Scott Nagel, Jim Ryder, and Vern Bergman. There's normally around 10 dual rears at Delmar.

Delmar (61 Kartway) will also have their Fall Challenge race at the end of the season with vintage classes invited, likely just an Open Sidewinder Class and an Open Rear Engine Class + slower sidewinder karts Class. Its a single day fun run.

Back