UAS and the tire rule thing......

Let me give my opinion on the UAS and the tire rule. There is nothing in the rules of the UAS as stated that says or uses the wording "OPEN TIRE". WHat is does say is this:

No sponsorship will be accepted if, any condition of accepting said sponsorship requires all competitors to use any particular brand of product or the modification of any rule.

But that only pertains SANCTIONED events. That being said, if a track or a series runs the UAS class (using the weights and engines displacements, etc) that IS NOT sanctioned, then the modification to this is wide open and they can do as they please. There is absolutely nothing wrong if MAXXIS, UNILLI, BURRIS, OR GOODYEAR OR CONTINENTAL pulls a $1000.00 or more out of THEIR pocket and wants to promote a race using the UAS engines structure. Its their money, and YOU choose whether to participate of not. This happen all the time in series racing, MAXXIS, BURRIS and now UNILLI all have THEIR OWN series. So they can choose to do what they want. The only thing is, if they promote the UAS engine structure it CANNOT count for points or be a SANCTIONED event. .......SIMPLE AS THAT.
Heres another example: At Thanksgiving Thunder they are running a $10,000.00 to win PRC CLone Class. Guess what? To run it you must race a PRC chassis, not only that but you must run PRC exclusively the whole weekend. But who is putting up the money???/ PRC of course! sO Whats the problem??? This is great

So I wouldn't be so quick to beat up on the industry. The way I see it, if you choose to run this event, it gives you the opportunity to use another brand that you may not generally use and could potentially better your game.

Iam all for OPEN TIRE where it comes to a sanctioned event and points. The rules as stated covers more than tires- it covers everything.

So my point is- Don't be so quick to beat up the INDUSTRY. But rather support them and encourage more to do the same. Its only a positive as it drives interest from manufactures about what we do. And if Unilli or whoever starts testing a tire on a UAS kart and brings a better product to the table as a result then the ones who supported them will benefit. The industry of karting is important. And preserving the rule above is important as it pertains to SANCTIONED events.

Just my $ .02

I agree Chris.... I do think that the rule: No sponsorship will be accepted if, any condition of accepting said sponsorship requires all competitors to use any particular brand of product or the modification of any rule... Needs to be taken out in order to help grow the UAS as a whole, some of these companies might like to sponsor a big Grand National event or the whole series for the year if the UAS supports thier products. I love being able to run whatever I want but I also would like to see running for a national title more worth while than it is right now. It costs more every year to ran a competitive UAS kart at most 1/4 point races and the nationals so getting more return on investment should be in the plan somewhere..

My opinion is a little different. I don't have a problem with the UAS rule as it pertains to the National level. Reason being, it does just that, it opens the door for someone to come in and essentially "buy out" the rules. It wouldn't have ot be a tire, it could be anything. But in the same respect, I don't have an issue with a "MOney Race" sponsored by a tire company either. Or as far as that goes, a "Money and Title race" . For instance: Burris could decide to run a UAS WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP race in 2015. And this race would pay 50 Grand to win Burris tires only. (just an example mike and kurt, don't sale the cigarette boat yet...:) ) This would be an awesome event and the GN would pale in comparison in some regards. HOWEVER- The GN still represents something greater than a monetary reward and I don't have a problem with that.

I understand that. I would like to see more races like your race coming up at Liberty I think it brings out the best in UAS style racing without having to be a member. Its great that anyone can come race without all the politics involved in point racing.

Nothing stops a sponsor from awarding a contingency award. In my opinion , having a single tire or chassis mandate doesn't provide a competitive market.

A sponsor awarding for a finish result using their brand product would have a better sales pitch having beat the competition racing and not in mandating.

X amount if you win using Y brand . once some one wins others will follow .

Nobody discusses anyone can use UAS rules for non sanctioned events, and I am all for contigency money if winning using a specific product, but I don´t support or like spec products in UAS sanctioned races and I will try to keep away from any non sanctioned race specifying any spec or mandatory product for UAS. I lke supporting karting manufacturers as much or more than anybody else, I run karting engines only in UAS, but I choose who and how I support them and I think most UAS memebers think this way. Example, if I can afford to buy a Seay body or a Buller engine I am gonna buy them since I know they both support us in many different ways, but I don´t want to hear I have to or anybody else has to. Besides I personally don´t care about how much money is available for the winner, with all respect that´s the story ruining stock classes and keeping local racers out of big events. There is only one winner for those amounts and a bunch of drivers knowing they don´t have any chance to win. They might think they do have a chance for a time, but when they find out they are never back, and the lack of real no-pro stock classes is killing dirt oval racing. You can´t keep the sport healthy just drawing benefits from a minority of high income customers. I run on the back now and I do not care about money. I do appreciate support like the one from Burris at the GN or AIM. Sometimes just attending a race and supporting an event without putting money can be very valuable for us. Or even offering products for us that nobody else does, like you do, Chris. I say this form the great respect I have for all the companies, many of whose owners are actually my friends, both here and in Europe. If we allow specific products get into sanctioned UAS races as mandatory that will start the end of UAS, believe me, and Mark knows this very well.

Santiago: You said "if we allow...." You do realize we have an open market here in the USA?? And the FREEDOM to create races, supports races, sponsor races, and all the above?? Its FREEDOM brother...:)

Nobody discusses anyone can use UAS rules for non sanctioned events, and I am all for contigency money if winning using a specific product, but I don´t support or like spec products in UAS sanctioned races and I will try to keep away from any non sanctioned race specifying any spec or mandatory product for UAS. I lke supporting karting manufacturers as much or more than anybody else, I run karting engines only in UAS, but I choose who and how I support them and I think most UAS memebers think this way. Example, if I can afford to buy a Seay body or a Buller engine I am gonna buy them since I know they both support us in many different ways, but I don´t want to hear I have to or anybody else has to. Besides I personally don´t care about how much money is available for the winner, with all respect that´s the story ruining stock classes and keeping local racers out of big events. There is only one winner for those amounts and a bunch of drivers knowing they don´t have any chance to win. They might think they do have a chance for a time, but when they find out they are never back, and the lack of real no-pro stock classes is killing dirt oval racing. You can´t keep the sport healthy just drawing benefits from a minority of high income customers. I run on the back now and I do not care about money. I do appreciate support like the one from Burris at the GN or AIM. Sometimes just attending a race and supporting an event without putting money can be very valuable for us. Or even offering products for us that nobody else does, like you do, Chris. I say this form the great respect I have for all the companies, many of whose owners are actually my friends, both here and in Europe. If we allow specific products get into sanctioned UAS races as mandatory that will start the end of UAS, believe me, and Mark knows this very well.

I don't think anyone said all the sponsor money should go to the winner of the race or the points if we are talking about the UAS Sanctioned races, It would be nice to pay guys that make the GN race to get some worth while tow money because he or she pulled hundreds of miles to have a chance at making that race and giving he or she the chance to better their National points for the year... Money races pay the top 10 to 15 spots...

I don't think anyone said all the sponsor money should go to the winner of the race or the points if we are talking about the UAS Sanctioned races, It would be nice to pay guys that make the GN race to get some worth while tow money because he or she pulled hundreds of miles to have a chance at making that race and giving he or she the chance to better their National points for the year... Money races pay the top 10 to 15 spots...

Most big money races ($10,000 and so on) usually are winner takes all or most of the money. Now you don´t need to have a spec product to pay people back as long as they have the freedom to choose. Yes, Chris, America is all about freedom, even freedom to choose tires. If you impose a spec tire where is that freedom? Freedom for some to make everyone runntheir products without any choice? I prefer someone who shows me their product choice is the best that someone who makes me use their product if I want to race. This last option sounds more like the lack of freedom in FIA/CIK. Open is open, unlimited is unlimited. The less rules other than safety the better IMO. I do realize mthe way I express my opinions might not be the best sometimes considering I am not a native speaker, so that Ïf we allow..¨might not reflect what I really think.

You might check your data on some of the pay outs of the bigger money races.
Look at this one for example : OVER 56k PAYOUT! UNILLI INVADES TALLADEGA ALABAMA OCTOBER 25! 5grand to the winner and at least 500 through 10th place not bad considering that only 7 karts finished the GN race this year.
There are alot of other sponsors putting races on like this one for stockers why not get them interested in sponsoring the whole national series and make it easier on guys that travel to the races and race them. I would say alot of racers at this years GN bought a set of tires to run that track that they normally would not use much at home so why would it be so bad to have to buy a set or 2 of tires to run another GN if they are going to be giving back to the series...

You bunch of trouble makers!!!! All of you get back to work and STOP PLAYING ON THE COMPUTER! In the time y'all wasted on here today, you could have cleaned my shop really well. So if you're planning to do this same thing tomorrow, be here at 7AM and GRAB A BROOM!!!! :p:p:p

You might check your data on some of the pay outs of the bigger money races.
Look at this one for example : OVER 56k PAYOUT! UNILLI INVADES TALLADEGA ALABAMA OCTOBER 25! 5grand to the winner and at least 500 through 10th place not bad considering that only 7 karts finished the GN race this year.
There are alot of other sponsors putting races on like this one for stockers why not get them interested in sponsoring the whole national series and make it easier on guys that travel to the races and race them. I would say alot of racers at this years GN bought a set of tires to run that track that they normally would not use much at home so why would it be so bad to have to buy a set or 2 of tires to run another GN if they are going to be giving back to the series...

The bottom line is that they were not required to buy that set of tires, for about $160 on top of the $100 enter fee's, before they could enter the race. I agree with Santiago on this one. I don't like it when a promoter says that they are running UAS rules and then says that you have to run their tires. As Chris pointed out, Rule 5A states that 'No sponsorship will be accepted if , any condition of accepting said sponsorship requires all competitors to use any particular brand of product'. Therefore regardless of what they advertise, THEY ARE NOT RUNNING USING UAS RULES. They are only running by SOME of the UAS rules. If Unilli feels they a competitive tire, they should put up a contingency award if the winners are using them. Now as for the payout, which we have heard nothing about, most of the races that advertise $5,000 to win will pay $5,000 to the winner (isn't that what you guys collected at the 'Big O' race).

So my point is- Don't be so quick to beat up the INDUSTRY. But rather support them and encourage more to do the same. Its only a positive as it drives interest from manufactures about what we do. And if Unilli or whoever starts testing a tire on a UAS kart and brings a better product to the table as a result then the ones who supported them will benefit. The industry of karting is important. And preserving the rule above is important as it pertains to SANCTIONED events.

Just my $ .02

This is where we differ Chris. I will beat up the industry when they claim to run UAS rules and then modify them in a self serving manner. At that point I have no problem if they advertise them as 'Modified UAS Rules', but they have yet to do this. I have no problem with Unilli testing their tires on the Unlimiteds, however I do have a problem with them expecting everyone to buy a set of their tires to see how good they are going to perform. You mentioned that Unilli is putting up the money. Well, how much and what is the percentage breakdown??????

The bottom line is that all the other tire manufacturers faced this same 'Open Tire Rule' and endorsed it. You have to now ask yourself the question, should Unilli be treated any differently?

Huh! I may hurt feelings.
But when was last time Buller put any Mooney in UAS purse

It's not just Buller. There are a few other big time engine builders and kart parts stores that like the money we spend with them but sure don't like donating money back for a race. I started a Yamaha series in FL and tried to have a money race. I'm not naming names but I couldn't get any help from a certain place to help with payouts. So I went to some local businesses and got up some of the money and I matched the other half out of my pocket. Now that being said I don't really like money races. Money seems to make racers not think and do stupid stuff.

Frankie

Perhaps if they called the class "World Unlimited Karting Association" for 2 cycle/4 cycle unlimiteds that would end this discussion.

UAS is the only series I have ever heard of that does not want sponsors to come in. Excuse me, they would welcome sponsor money but the sponsor better not expect anything in return.

WKA can run "their "race any way they want. They are the group taking on the financial risk. They have done the math and they believe this is what gives them the best shot at profitability. (A deal with Unilli) They are gambling that you and I will acquiesce and use the Unilli tire and be at Daytona.

UAS better be careful or someone with some business sense is going to start their own "World Unlimited Karting Championship". They could partner with Unilli, or whoever.

They will have the purses and they will draw the karts. Period....end of story.

Back