UAS chassis

I'm running a 2012 impulse but have been looking around for a UAS specific chassis. the research and development isn't really there for us right now. QRC has an outlaw kart that can be made into a flat kart style but even then its not really a Flat kart UAS chassis.

Another thing UAS/RWYB high hp racing needs is a new tire. I would like to see a taller set of tires that would allow for more contact patch. but i vane seen some guys try some new stuff. like left rear on the front left, and 3 maxxis pinks on the others. its a new learning curve out there for us uas/rwyb racers.

That’s a loaded question - each person will have their own opinion on what is the “best” chassis no matter what the class is. As of UAS side of things, there are a couple well known UAS edition karts - SHP Utramaxes, UAS edition Phantoms (Triton etc) and such which are very good pieces. I’ve also seen drivers win on 10+ year old chassis to brand new to even home built to heavily modified bare frames from regular manufacturers. I guess what I’m getting at is whatever chassis you know the best on how to make the adjustments for track conditions and to make it react to what you are wanting it to do. Yes, don’t get me wrong, there are some chassis designed better and are better than others- but I don’t think you’ll get a clear “best” chassis for UAS answer.

Bgriffin1993- Burris introduced a taller (bigger diameter) form of their tires - I believe they were still standard 6” interior. It wasn’t that long ago, so you may be able to find some gently used ones that you can pick up from someone pretty reasonably. I believe they were a B33B - B44B or something like that. I’m not sure if they are still making them or not.

Hope this helps and good luck on your racing season!

Steve T

That’s a loaded question - each person will have their own opinion on what is the “best” chassis no matter what the class is. As of UAS side of things, there are a couple well known UAS edition karts - SHP Utramaxes, UAS edition Phantoms (Triton etc) and such which are very good pieces. I’ve also seen drivers win on 10+ year old chassis to brand new to even home built to heavily modified bare frames from regular manufacturers. I guess what I’m getting at is whatever chassis you know the best on how to make the adjustments for track conditions and to make it react to what you are wanting it to do. Yes, don’t get me wrong, there are some chassis designed better and are better than others- but I don’t think you’ll get a clear “best” chassis for UAS answer.

Bgriffin1993- Burris introduced a taller (bigger diameter) form of their tires - I believe they were still standard 6” interior. It wasn’t that long ago, so you may be able to find some gently used ones that you can pick up from someone pretty reasonably. I believe they were a B33B - B44B or something like that. I’m not sure if they are still making them or not.

Hope this helps and good luck on your racing season!

Steve T
Steve,
I have been talking to burris, Maxxis, Vega, and Hoosiers. Burris and Hoosier both used to make a tire that was what i been looking for but they discontinued them. I think that Hoosier may have something in the works thought :) as i have been pinging them about this a lot. I'm hoping they have a test tire for this by the end of the year. Also the UAS edition chassis that you speak of are really nothing more than a regular chassis with a larger brake rotor. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this though. I for one would be standing in line for a UAS specific chassis if anyone ever decided to make one. I think the goal would be to create a chassis that is EXTREMELY tight compared to clone chassis. it seems like clones are trying to avoid locking a kart down when this is what the UAS guys are chasing. I for one run decent and have tried some off the wall things and you would probably laugh if you seen my setup. but hey. It works halfway decent for me and my 2012 impulse with a gx390. any chassis that is adjustable should allow you to chase your setups needs as long as what you need falls in that specific chassis adjustability window.

Look for chassis builders with open set ups, stay away from clone chassis, the are built for 12hp engines. Put 50hp on it , the lite chassis will get way out of shape. I run a modified sprint chassis with an open K11 , its quick in a bull ring . My driving style and location on the track are my own

Our SHP Rival is a UAS kart that we also run lower hp motors on. In years past we have built long rail SHP Edition Phaze and Xceed chassis that were UAS/RWYB specific. This was in a different era and those karts reacted differently. We have invested much research and development in deciding the changes we make when offering chassis. The SHP Rival is a chassis that turns well. Its a very free kart and likes a more aggressive tire. It transfers weight differently than models in years past and we didn't feel the need to offer it as a long rail. The difference is in the cross member under the seat and the steering post upright from a std big tube Rival. Its quite simple to make a chassis tight, but that in itself doesn't make it a chassis for HP. We are running dirt ovals that are in the 9-12 sec range mostly. That means you are changing direction 180 degrees twice with as little braking as possible and maintaining corner speed. This is key. Anyone can build a drag kart with lots of forward bite, lots of brakes. Drag race from corner to corner and stab the brake to pivot the kart. We also typically don't run grooved tires and power around the top of the track with lots of counterwheel through the corner like a Outlaw wing kart either. So our karts are designed around smoother higher grip surfaces that allow the dynamic loading and unloading to quickly change the direction of the kart on currently available slick tires. Depending upon the track your running and how much grip it makes determines just which tire that is. Mostly Blues and Pinks is the choice, but some tracks likes yellow Vegas and some like Burris 33's. On chassis over 400 lbs with big horsepower, the Hoosier on the RR is a good choice. The SHP Rival is the chassis that has won the largest UAS races in the country the past couple years from coast to coast. That being said, manufactures are offering UAS/RWYB specific chassis and many of them are good. Legend, Charger, and Prowler currently offer specific chassis as well.

Back