UAS engine packages

Rating them is pretty hard to do honestly. They each have their ups and downs and all perform in the right hands.

My brother Jason has had a lot of luck with your 250's and I personally think the 250's are one of the most competitive and consistent engines in the game. It's immense power, somewhat reasonable cost, and the overall total weight make this in my opinion the best over all package. But, has a slightly steeper learning curve for tuning.

Seay has proven the little 150 that could, definitely can. I think this is probably one of the best smaller engine packages that can compete on a large variety of tracks. But, has a large penalty in weight if you don't have a small driver.

The 450 is definitely a top contender anywhere you go. But, to me has a steeper learning curve for driving and a little bit of a tuning curve.

The Jawa has proven an absolute beast in the right hands. But, it's price and weight are it's biggest things holding it back. Then parts availability for rebuilds could potentially be a problem for some.

The Wankel I am not sure how it sits with the current rule package. Not too many of them running, and none around our area. I can't honestly make a judgment on it. Always seemed a rule tweek would put it right back in the top 3. But, it's complexity for rebuilds and steeper learning curve for tuning hold it back more than anything.

Ps. I'm sure some might not agree with everything here. But, this is my opinion, and my opinion doesn't mean ****.

Last edited:
Built to the Hilt Jawa, Absolute lightest Bare bones kart, with a short driver Able to sit on it and make weight.

Crf450r internally jackshafted, fuel injected with a vortex fuel/ignition tuner... but might be upgrading it to a hagar set up

Rating them is pretty hard to do honestly. They each have their ups and downs and all perform in the right hands.

My brother Jason has had a lot of luck with your 250's and I personally think the 250's are one of the most competitive and consistent engines in the game. It's immense power, somewhat reasonable cost, and the overall total weight make this in my opinion the best over all package. But, has a slightly steeper learning curve for tuning.

Seay has proven the little 150 that could, definitely can. I think this is probably one of the best smaller engine packages that can compete on a large variety of tracks. But, has a large penalty in weight if you don't have a small driver.

The 450 is definitely a top contender anywhere you go. But, to me has a steeper learning curve for driving and a little bit of a tuning curve.

The Jawa has proven an absolute beast in the right hands. But, it's price and weight are it's biggest things holding it back. Then parts availability for rebuilds could potentially be a problem for some.

The Wankel I am not sure how it sits with the current rule package. Not too many of them running, and none around our area. I can't honestly make a judgment on it. Always seemed a rule tweek would put it right back in the top 3. But, it's complexity for rebuilds and steeper learning curve for tuning hold it back more than anything.

Ps. I'm sure some might not agree with everything here. But, this is my opinion, and my opinion doesn't mean ****.
In fact the Wankel is the easiest engine to run and they have the longest times between rebuilds. The one I own is over 10! YES, you read it right, 10! years old with no internal rebuilt, run every season on asphalt and as competitive as a KZ shifter.

Rainman, for someone just starting out do you think the Wankel is a good choice? Maybe for someone that doesn't have a lot of experience with this type of engine or UAS style racing period?

Again, I have no experience with a wankel so I'd like to hear from someone who does. Everyone I've heard from seem a bit intimidated by them because they're different. I have two and four stroke knowledge, so interested how others think the Wankel sits for a beginner.

Last edited:
You have to many variables that have to be answered.
driver weight
Experience
Budget
What size tracks and surface
Just to name a few. The budget is big for a lot of people. You can run a stock 450 that you’ll have $2500 in and it might be just the ticket until someone shows up with a Bundy built to the hilt 450 that will have 10k or more in it. No one said dual engines. Dual 115cc 2 strikes hook together through a Birky clutch would definitely be a powerful setup to run if you can make the 400# weight. What about royal 250 twin superkart engine. There are so many options you can chose. If you’re light enough maybe CRF250 or a KTM350. You need to put out more info and what you are really looking for.

Rainman, for someone just starting out do you think the Wankel is a good choice? Maybe for someone that doesn't have a lot of experience with this type of engine or UAS style racing period?

Again, I have no experience with a wankel so I'd like to hear from someone who does. Everyone I've heard from seem a bit intimidated by them because they're different. I have two and four stroke knowledge, so interested how others think the Wankel sits for a beginner.
IMO as long as you are able to check the temps and keep the right temps the Wankel is the easiest engine to use on any track surface.

It will not hold up in the enduro world with the long straightaways. Rain you were the one that said any track surface lol. What about go-pro for this weekend?. Let me know later Chuck.

This is a rule change year for UAS and one of the rule change proposals is dropping minimum weight for the wankel to make it viable again. Hopefully the admins vote in favor of it.
The Wankel was dropped a few years ago down to 400lbs, which I can't make with mine anyhow. I think I cross around 420.

Back