Ultramax BadMax on asphalt..

MaxxT Out

Can a UMAX BadMax be competitive on asphalt?? I can buy asphalt spindles from Umax and was thinking of running some LO206 asphalt racing next year along with my dirt schedule.. Thanks for any help..

If it is a sprint asphalt track it depends on the number of right turns the track has and how open they are. If it doesn't have many right turns you might be very fast on the lefts. If you are running it on an asphalt oval it will be good, but always consider the Bad Max was a tight chassis designed to be run mainly on local dirt oval racing with lower grip and less rubber on the track.

A couple years ago, I'd say yes. These days not so much. Competition is super tough. You may be able to get buy with it at Barnesville but, I don't think you'd keep up at GoPro, or New Castle.
On the other hand, if your a good setup guy and driver, you can get an older Sprint kart cheap, and still be very competitive with it.

Can a UMAX BadMax be competitive on asphalt?? I can buy asphalt spindles from Umax and was thinking of running some LO206 asphalt racing next year along with my dirt schedule.. Thanks for any help..

Where are you looking to race? That is the key deciding factor.

It depends on where you are gonna race and who you are gonna be racing against. For local racing at most tracks you could be OK, but at top level and tracks like Go Pro with a bunch of right handers you might not be close at all. I tried at CMP with an old tight 99 Millenium for dirt ovals and finished buying a new MGM back in 2010. It was way faster, always running on top with the right engine and tires. By the way, still have that kart with less than 30 outings including races and practice. Have no use for it now and I would be sell it for the right price. Always finished top 2 in the points (2 times at CMP on clone classes and once at Langley on a two stroke class). Great chassis for 4 cycle asphalt sprint racing. Be aware some tracks require CIK body work and bumpers that might not fit your U-Max.

I know that this is an old question, and about the ultramax I cannot say, but I did run an offset dirt chassis at Barnesville for several years and never could quite get it competitive. It was a Twister made in 2003. My experience with the dirt chassis, is that it turns right better than left, however if it is a left turn and it is a wider left hand turn then its okay. If it is a tight corner, like the hairpin and Barnesville, then nose will not turn. I got it much better over time. I could carry a lot of speed into the corner, but on exit it would lose the nose and then it would snap loose. I think my kart would have done better at the street race at Iverness, Flordia, or AMP, or CMP, because they are wider faster tracks and have some right hand turns. They have widened Barnesville up a bit from the last time I was there, so if I were running my old kart and they were running counter clockwise, I would probably do much better with it overall, because they have widened some of it out. I did the clockwise direction in practice one day by myself and was running competitive laptimes that way. If it was me I would not run, but I do not think they will let you anymore anyway at Barnesville, I would not run a lto kart on sprint course. Its too big of a pain in the rear to get it to turn, and it just puts you off a level playing field with everyone else. I have read on here before about people adjusting the camber, but on mine I could not adjust it, because it was build into the kart. I just wish I had bought a sprint chassis to begin with.

Back