Ultramax threaded bumper bolt inserts

Ironcouch

Has anyone had experience with removing the tack welded bumper inserts on the rear bumper? I have one that actually stripped out the Allen head bumper bolt head because it is so corroded inside. I’ve tried about everything to remove it.

flattop1

Dawg 89
You cut the tack welds ? Completely ?
How much of the insert protrudes would be the next thing .
If there is enough a pipe wrench to twist it or a good quality vice grips .
Once it turns you should be able to lubricate it and turn it , then work it out via wiggle turn and tap .
Failing that a self tapping bolt or weld a bolt too it .
Another alternative would be heli coil , time sert , oversize bolt with new thread tapped, or even metric size . Lastly weld a same size stud in the insert .

I didn't remove the inserts, but one of my U-max es had been abused by it's former owner and the allens required some heat and penetrating oil to remove. I had to purchase the proper size tap and chased the threads in the insert before installing new bumper bolts. I don't know what Dill Fab uses to make those inserts but it's darn tough stuff to even chase the threads.

flattop1

Dawg 89
Cut the head off . Then you can heat and get a penatrent oil on the thread area .
Diesel fuel is an excellent penatrent .
It's likely too twist off . Drilling a relief along the thread would help before you twist it off .

Last edited: