Ultrasonic cleaner

Marcis71

Is there a better ultrasonic cleaner that you guys are using? When I look them up online it appears that unless you go with a commercial unit they are all the exact same units just with different names, labeling even looks identical on all I've found. I like the one I have I just didn't buy a large enough one to fit a block into and am looking to upgrade.

Graymills.
The one we use in the shop will run you a little over $5gs though...not exactly what most racers will want to spend.
I believe Crest makes them for a lot of re-sellers.
I talked to a few companies from overseas at the PRI show and was impressed with quality and price....but you really won't know the real value until you have personally used it for yourself.
Goodson Shop Supplies offers them now as well -- that would be a good choice.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

info@ultrasonicllc.com
www.ultrasonic.com
They have a variety of machines for different size requirements and price.
They are also the company that makes the machines that Goodson sells.
A large machine is great but keep in mind that it requires lots of cleaner to fill and then you also have to dispose of it.
It also take longer for it to get up to temperature. If you leave it on all the time it's not a factor but if you only turn it on when you are going to use it, well, it takes longer.
The liquid that you uses is generally biodegradable but the carbon, dirt and heavy metals (lead, zinc etc) is not.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. Brian, 5G is a little (read that as a LOT) out of my price range :) Depending on what I'm cleaning I will generally put small parts in a baggie so I don't use as much cleaner and it keeps the chemical clean up much smaller. I also will fill it with hot water when I go to use it so that helps as well.

If the one you have works fine for jobs smaller than a block, we have found that a careful spray down with Gunk or any quality degreaser followed by a hard rinse with water spray from a siphon gun hooked up to my air compressor at 60 or more psi works fine on blocks. At 60 or more psi the spay from the siphon gun can be used to develop a mild sand blasting effect on the grunge if you aim it up close - 1 to 2 inches.

Just a thought....

Using Ziploc baggies is definitely the key to keeping small parts clean and the dirt/etc. out of the main solution.
We also have a couple of stainless steel bowls that we use that work fantastic for carbs, and smaller pieces.
For heads and blocks we use a basket (kind of like a french fry basket) that drops down into the solution. Like Jimbo said though, then you find yourself changing the main solution more often.

Our unit has a heating element in it, but I only use it during the winter months when I keep my shop cooler than normal.
It's really not even necessary. The vibration of the ultrasonics will heat up the part and the water surrounding the part you are cleaning without using a pre-heater just fine. If you like warm water (and I do), then turn the heating element on a half hour before you plan on cleaning.

Depending on how bad a block is, generally we'll wash it with soapy water. If it's REAL bad, it'll get the pressure washer on it - we will also charge a customer if an engine is brought in that poor of condition (rare.)
After soapy water, the block is dried and any machine work done, honing, seat cutting, etc.
Then it gets the normal solvent cleaning in the parts cleaner.
One more time for hot soapy water, then dried, (often we'll brake clean it at this point as well,) and the cylinder wiped additionally to remove any honing grit.
If it's going to go in the Ultra-sonic cleaner, it'll be in place of the last soapy water step.

Using Ziploc baggies is definitely the key to keeping small parts clean and the dirt/etc. out of the main solution.
We also have a couple of stainless steel bowls that we use that work fantastic for carbs, and smaller pieces.
For heads and blocks we use a basket (kind of like a french fry basket) that drops down into the solution. Like Jimbo said though, then you find yourself changing the main solution more often.

Our unit has a heating element in it, but I only use it during the winter months when I keep my shop cooler than normal.
It's really not even necessary. The vibration of the ultrasonics will heat up the part and the water surrounding the part you are cleaning without using a pre-heater just fine. If you like warm water (and I do), then turn the heating element on a half hour before you plan on cleaning.

Depending on how bad a block is, generally we'll wash it with soapy water. If it's REAL bad, it'll get the pressure washer on it - we will also charge a customer if an engine is brought in that poor of condition (rare.)
After soapy water, the block is dried and any machine work done, honing, seat cutting, etc.
Then it gets the normal solvent cleaning in the parts cleaner.
One more time for hot soapy water, then dried, (often we'll brake clean it at this point as well,) and the cylinder wiped additionally to remove any honing grit.
If it's going to go in the Ultra-sonic cleaner, it'll be in place of the last soapy water step.

What cleaner are you using in your ultrasonic cleaner. I have a mid sized one I use for cleaning carbs and such. Thanks

I just use a plastic coffee can with my orbital sander Zip-Tied to it for carbs and small parts and it works great.

What cleaner are you using in your ultrasonic cleaner. I have a mid sized one I use for cleaning carbs and such. Thanks

Ancient Chinese secret -- and no, it's not Calgon. ;)

You can use just about anything you like. There are so many favorite "mixes" and "brews" that it's not funny.
Goodson Shop Supplies has a great cleaning solution.
We've also use our "Apple Clean" tire cleaner cut with water with great success - and we always have plenty of it around!

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Dang it Brian...... and here I thought I finally found a way to get rid of that supply of Calgon I kept stashed away. Lol!

Not on subject, but Calgon works great getting oil out of engine cooling systems. I think I will try it in my ultrasonic cleaner.

Back