Ultrasonic cleaning

95 shaw

Site Supporter
What are guys using for cleaning solution to clean carbs?

Do you use the same solution for cleaning aluminum parts, such as heads?
Don't want to discolor the parts.

Thanks.

A very weak solution of pine-sol mixed with water works. If you leave the carb in too long and/or the solution is too strong, the aluminum will turn darker. I'm interested in what others are using also.

I only use this on carbs.

The makers of simple green make a cleaner for aluminum that is certified by Boeing and is PH neutral. I also saw on a cylinder head forum someone uses a product from dollar general called simply awesome that looked like it worked good but I have only used the simple green aluminum cleaner and it worked well and did not discolor the aluminum. any alkaline or acid will turn the aluminum black over time.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Simple-G...93696&wl11=online&wl12=21784009&wl13=&veh=sem

A weak solution of Lestoil has worked great for me on carbs for years. 1/4 cup to 1 gallon. I also like it on bare cast iron, the cast will not instantly rust.

The GUNK or other brand carb cleaners from the parts store work best! usually get a gallon of it for a decent price.

How much do you mix in per gallon? I looked it up and it is corrosive to aluminum so I assume you do not soak for long periods of time. Do you have any particular method of rinsing?

Sometimes I am not good at measuring, but about 1/4 1/2 cup to a gallon. I usually rinse with water. On engine blocks , As soon as I rinse,oil the cylinder. I have never had a problem with it turning aluminum , But then I don't allow it to just sit there. This stuff works in minutes not hours.
I use it to wash dirty rags, car, boat, trailer, dishes, Tools ,vinyl siding, wood fence, You name it.
Between that and baking soda and Borax. I never buy any cleaners.
You can buy all three for about $10 to $15 depending where you buy it.
Use parts cleaning brushes to reach those hard to reach places.

Sometimes I am not good at measuring, but about 1/4 1/2 cup to a gallon. I usually rinse with water...
Use parts cleaning brushes to reach those hard to reach places.

That sounds like a lot of soda mix. I've tried a lot of different solutions and am always leery of something that will discolor aluminum.
Use parts cleaning brushes??? That's a huge advantage to ultra-sonic cleaning is that it gets all those little nooks and crannies! :)

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Brian: Somtimes I don't know how to take you. But I use it to clean entire engine, kart. Brushes help.
You have recently undercut some of my suggestions. Ones that I know work. Why? Or maybe I am reading your response wrong?

No, not at all. I guess I didn't see what I "undercut."
If they work, sure, I'd like to recommend them as well.

This thread is about ultrasonic cleaning (as in a solution used in an ultra-sonic cleaner.)
A big part of the purpose of ultra-sonic cleaning is to clean where brushes can't get.

If your solution will work on carburetors (ie LO206 without discoloring the aluminum,) then I will definitely be trying it.

No offense intended.

Ok I have not used it on a Lo206 carb, but I use it all time on Tillotsons and a lot of other aluminum stuff.
I just don't do much with lo 206. They don't need much attention. As you probably know all too well!

The parts brush is used before the ultrasonic cleaner and when cleaning the rest of engine..
And Like I said this stuff works in minutes not hours.

A product called shellac buster is pretty good, although a bit pricey at 65.00 a gallon. I typically clean 4 to 6 carbs a day during the mowing season so it's a little easier to justify the price vs. cleaning your own.

dawn x9 and let your water be hot before putting the carb in you can watch it pull it thru the holes in the carb it amazes me but I’m sure everyone has their choice of cleaners and mine gets cleaned every week

Back